In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scrapes?

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
I went out today to clear some limbs from the buddy stand that my son and I will use for the youth season and also put a hook on another stand. I found scrapes. They were on all of the tree lines that I hunt. They were not huge but, they did have over head branches that appeared to be freshly broken. I have never seen scrapes this early. I'm usually excited about rubs this time of year. So, what do you all think? Made by a young buck just feeling his oats or, a mature one marking his territory. I'm going out tomorrow night to sit. Hopefully I will get to see for myself. All I know that if it is antlerless and brown, it is down. We only have 6 packages of buger left.

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rubbing felt off?
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya I agree with shoff, I haven't found any "rubs" but found alot of semi-scrapes here in ohio, probobly 10 near my stands
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    rubbing felt off?

These weren't rubs. They were scrapes. Pawed ground, 1'x2' area in size. Over hanging branches broken and bent over. They look like they belong during the rut. I've just never seen them this early before.
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I watched a very nice mature buck last evening make 3 scrapes on a brush row and two rubs. I never see sign this early usually, but this year it is all over the place.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I have seen one rub
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very typical early in the season. I see them in August scouting. They're boundary or territorial scrapes. I've walked these early scrape lines along field and woodline edges and found over a dozen. Check them in a month to see if any, or maybe all of them, have been maintained.
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found two scrapes lastnight, no deer tho![:(]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ENOS29
    Found two scrapes lastnight, no deer tho![:(]

I wondered if you made it out, that south wind probably didn't help any not to mention all the dead right there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ya, the wind, corn, death and the fact I couldn't see to the east at all cuz it was so thick. I never went thru close to dark so I wouldn't * any if they were out of the bedding ground. I saw a fresh set of tracks that were the size of my fist tho!![:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ya, the wind, corn, death and the fact I couldn't see to the east at all cuz it was so thick. I never went thru close to dark so I wouldn't * any if they were out of the bedding ground. I saw a fresh set of tracks that were the size of my fist tho!![:p]

Well get out there and get him and put Team 3 on the board.[;)]
    I have Fri. off so, I will hunt the morning and afternoon. Sat. will be opening day for the youth hunt so I will be out guiding instead of hunting.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will be goin south with Bang this weekend! Hopefully can get some points for us then!!!![8D]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I will be goin south with Bang this weekend! Hopefully can get some points for us then!!!![8D]

Whatcha mean with me? I'm leavin before you! [:D][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

Whatcha mean with me? I'm leavin before you! [:D][;)]

That just means that the fire will be going with a pot of chilli on and he will meet you at the door with a cold beer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That would be nice! But doubt that will happen!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That would be nice! But doubt that will happen!

Dare to dream........Dare to dream.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1