In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bought a new bow.

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
i bought a new parker legend xp on saturday and everything seemed to be doing good. i set up a short 10yd range in my garage for practice and left my bow there last night. its totally out of the weather it just got cold. will cold affect how the bow shoots this much? i went from at least hitting the target every time at 30yds to loosing 2 arrows tonight. the bow is shooting way lower then it was last night. really pissing my off which is why im typing this instead of still shooting.

also the kit that i got with the bow(bow quiver, arrow rest, sight, and release) were best they had at the store so i dont think the sight is to blame.

Comments

• bigfoot_4bigfoot_4 Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    i bought a new parker legend xp on saturday and everything seemed to be doing good. i set up a short 10yd range in my garage for practice and left my bow there last night. its totally out of the weather it just got cold. will cold affect how the bow shoots this much? i went from at least hitting the target every time at 30yds to loosing 2 arrows tonight. the bow is shooting way lower then it was last night. really pissing my off which is why im typing this instead of still shooting.

also the kit that i got with the bow(bow quiver, arrow rest, sight, and release) were best they had at the store so i dont think the sight is to blame.

I have a couple questions for you. You said it got cold. Are you wearing heavier cloths than you where when you sighted your bow in? Are you wearing gloves that you where not wearing the other night? Are you wearing a billed hat that maybe you where not wearing when you sighted in? Things like this my be a factor. Gloves may change anchor point. Thick gloves will sometimes make a right handed shooter shoot left of center. Cold weather may affect the way your bow will shoot but in my opinion not enough to miss the target. Check to make sure everything is tight on the bow and pay close attention to your form.
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    all clothes today were same as yesterday. temp went into mid-upper 30s last night got up to 45 today. went out side in a hooded sweater and jeans. no gloves. mabye its just me. was hitting all over the place.[V]
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Fallaway rest with the cable mounted string that raises and lowers the rest?

I use a trap door, but Troy uses one of those string fallaways . He was shooting low and realized the string had slid up the cable resulting in the rest not coming all the way vertically to the stop.

Other than that, I would say it's simply a "form" issue that will resolve with lots of practice.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9 times out of 10 its you, not the bow.

I do like jpwolfs suggestion though. I wasn't coming up with anything that would make you off target that much besides personally issues. If your sight moved, you would notice that. If your peep slide up, it would make it feel different shooting.

Bows will change some in the cold weather, thats just physics and the property of materials at work. However, they won't change that much. If its an aluminum bow, you might see .001" or even .002" in difference in length, not enough for you to miss your target.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    peep sliding up would shoot high.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    peep sliding up would shoot high.

should have put up or down, I was just listing things that could move, not necessarily the problem as I have been in his shoes and it was always the shooter. [B)]
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i think my biggest problem with it is ive justy moved to a mechanicle release when ive used finger tabs up untill now. gotta bring the bow back to the store on wednesday anyway as part of the sight broke off and i need anew one so ill have them check me out again while im there.