In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

advice for a newbie

mot24mot24 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
I've had my bow for a while but have not had a good place to pratice, now I do. Some friends of mine are stating to get me hooked on hunting. My questions is, what kind of grouping and at what ranges should I be able to hold before I take to the field for whitetail.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is just how i pratice some may or maynot agree with me but i shoot 15 20 25 yards and try to group 3 arrows within an area where i can put my hand around all three i shoot from an elevated stand ect roof of house or set up tree stand the angles is up to the deer there is not certain shot that you will get i hope for a broadside or quatering away shot good luck and welcome to the nut house
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I strive for 1"/10 yards... 3" group @ 30 yards. I find this easier at longer ranges than up close. 2" at 20 is harder for me than 6" @ 60. Not sure why.
  • mot24mot24 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank for the imput, I'll give it a try after the weather breaks & see what I can do. I've also heard that people use a different grouping for shooting with sight pin as compared to traditional with no sight. I currently do not use a sight, but will get one soon if I can't get a decent group.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you have friends that hunt check with them too if you have problems.
    Generally 4" groups at 20yds is good enough to hit the vitals.
    But after a lot of practice you should be able to have 2" groups at 20yds. Be carefull about spitting your arrows. I usually shoot one arrow at different places on the target cause most of the time I can get 1" groups at 20yds.

If you practice from the ground then hunt in a tree stand your arrows will shoot higher. Mine shoot 3-4" higher from 18' up.