In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

carbons instead of my 2216's

saints_55saints_55 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I would like to start using carbons instead of XX75 2216's, what would be the best kind to switch to with out having to drasticly change my Merlin Tempest too much?

DONT FORGET: I95 HAS A NORTH BOUND LANE TOO!!

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    The 2216s are the same ones i shoot

I yearn for the simpiler times when a man could crawl out of his cave , club a woman over the head and drag her back "
  • cwcw Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a number of excellent choices out there for you! What and how extensive the changes will be depend on many different things. Some of these things are unique to you and your bow. Most have to do with tuning. You will need to adjust the prongs on your rest for the smaller diameter shaft, if you have that type of rest. You will also need to resight in. Your peep and nock location will remain unchanged as they are determined by you personally not the arrow you choose to shoot.
    I would suggest you go to a local bow shop with a range and see if he/she will allow you to try some different arrows before you lay down the green backs. If this is not possible try asking some buddies. Who shoot the same/ similar weight as you. Carbon's are ont offered in as many spines as aluminimum's they offer a much greater range. Most co's offer only two or three sizes for all shooters.
    I hope this is of service.
    CW

Watch that front sight! Teach a kid to shoot!
  • marinerahmarinerah Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carbons are more expensive than aluminum. Also, carbons can't be re-straightened like aluminum. I shoot carbons and they are fast. I know beeman makes them and am sure there are others. If you knock/robin hood one its pretty much going to be shattered. Either way, they both have their pros and cons. Good luck!
  • Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just switched back to 2216s. The reason being I've shot 2 bucks with carbons and had the shafts break on impact leaving no exit wound. This makes for hard tracking. Although I recovered both deer I wasn't impressed with carbons in a hunting situation. I didn't make "bad" shots either time hitting right behind the shoulder. I have a couple of friends that have had this same problem. A buddy of mine that runs a bowshop said the reason for this was I was using open on impact broadheads. This may be, but I just don't feel comfortable shooting carbons for hunting anymore. I love them for 3D shooting though.

qman_lr_105t.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!