In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Grouse feathers on arrows?

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
Just curious to know if Grouse feathers are suitable vanes for arrows. I know turkey feathers are used, but have not heard anything about grouse feathers.I shot a couple of grouse, and screwed up when I tried to remove the fan. I kept the feathers from the tail.Thought it might be an interesting off season project to attempt to put some feathers on an arrow.

Comments

• rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have'nt seen grouse feathers used. The feathers they use from Turkeys are from the wings not the tail. I tell all of my friends when they shoot a turkey & they don't want the wings give them to me. When I get a few hundred feathers I send them to Trueflight in their off season & they cut 'em into 4 & 5 inch shield cuts for me. RG
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    The Grouse feathers may not be ridged enough because of the smaller size.
  • songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    salzo- I do not know if this will work or not but you may want to give goose feathers a try. There lightweight combined with there water-repelling ability should do justice.
    Be bold in what you stand for and careful in what you fall for.
  • ZwickeymanZwickeyman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not know if grouse feathers will work or not, we don't have many grouse here in Oklahoma but Wild turkey works great. I think the best way to find out is try them out and see.Good luck and good hunting