In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Climbing sticks, would you trust these?

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
i posted a thread on hear about building climbing sticks but it seemed to have gotten hijacked so I am starting again.[:D]

I have a new idea and thought I would ask if you all would trust these. My plan is to use 2x4's and screw in steps with ratchet straps. I haven't quite got all of the details worked out yet but it would be about like any other set that you would buy. I already have a pretty good supply of steps and the 2x4 a run about $3 for an 8 footer. Just wondering what you all think. Thanks

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi

Comments

• danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8 foot 2x4's might be a bit on the heavy side to be carrying around the woods.

danski
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not overly concerned about the weight as much as I am trying to keep the wife happy by not spending too much money![:D][:D] I can ride my ATV close to most of my stands anyway so weight should be too big of a deal unless we start talking like 100+ pounds. Then I might rethink my strategy.[:D]

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I think you never know when the soft pine 2x4 is going to crack after drying. letting your screw in step pull out thus you crashing to the ground. Gee wizz[:0] ya can get 16 ft climimg sticks for 30-35 bucks if your gonna skimp dont do it with somthing that can kill you or paralize ya. Falling in not pleasant did it once dont want to see any one get hurt. spend the extra couple of bucks there is no reasonto take that chance. Just my advise. Please dont get mad at me.[;)]
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Just buy them... it's alot cheaper than the hospital bill would be.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    [:0]Holy crap gagirl agrees[:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't get mad at ya...[:D] I know it 40 bucks doesn't sound like much but me and my hunting buddies have 900 acres for 9 of us. I also have stands in 4 different woods with about 8 or so different stands. These are not including the stands my buddies have also or the ones where I use my climber. As you can see this would get expensive. I don't think that there would be any more risk of a screw-in step pulling out of a 2x4 than from a tree. Thanks for thinking of my safety though. Nice to know I'm loved![:D] Come to think of it, my wife is the one who wants to to quit spending money and not buy the sticks. Maybe she is using it for an insurance policy on me! I'd better check.[:D]

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Are you wanting these for portability and moving stand to stand?
    I have a friend that took 2 x 4s and nailed'em together to make a set of 4 x 4s, then nailed 2 x4 to the 4 x4 and made a basic ladder and leaned it up to his stand. Not saying I like it or that it would be safe but maybe you can satify her for 1 season then do something more safe. His ladder has been out for 3-4yrs and is untreated wood, it is showing signs that some up keep could be needed. OK a step broke.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    so each guy buy 2 sets 60 bucks each 18 pairs of climing sticks and everone gets to go home in one peice.[;)]Slash sell your deer[:D][:D][:0]
    edited November -1
    Okay, this will hurt my argument on the "safety" side of it, but we also generally hunt high[B)][B)][B)][B)]. Usually in the 20 to 25 foot range. We have been shopping around and found 20' sticks for about 40 bucks but that goes back to price again.

edited November -1
    slash did you get my email?

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    quote:bang250 Posted - 07/25/2005 : 1:50:06 PM
    slash did you get my email?

Yeah I got it. I sent a reply. Thanks for the help.

edited November -1
    Slash check out sportsmans guide the have 20 foot sticks for $39 bucks. no labor making them no screws no rotting I dont see the benifit or savings in making your own. I always used to make my own treestands i can buy em now cheaper than I can buy the stock to make them plus they are safer. Hey try checking e-bay and places like that can probly get a set for ten bucks. [;)] BANG I KNOW YOU GAVE HIM AN UNSAFE IDEA IN PRIVATE>[/b[B)]
    edited November -1
    quote: BANG I KNOW YOU GAVE HIM AN UNSAFE IDEA IN PRIVATE>[/b

I'll come to defend Bang's honor on this on. The e-mail was actually about how to get a pic into my signature at the bottom. I can only get the written out form of the link. Unless I missed the hidden code for the directions to your woods to "appropriate" your sticks. Marines never steal, we only appropriate.[:D] I had better look at that email again.

edited November -1
    [:0][B)][8D][8D][8D]oops
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to tell you to try the steps in the link until I looked at the price. [:0]

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=33662&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Maybe you could come up with something similar for less money.
    edited November -1
    Hey Islander.. I dont think 19.95 is a bad price... I mean you get 3 straps for that..

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only reason I thought the price was high was because you will need ~10 steps to get to 20 feet. That's $60 for one stand. There are cheaper ways to get there.
    edited November -1
    I'm stickin with the old tv antenna as a cheap and pretty safe route. we painted one all camo and set it up this weekend it works great just bought some rachet straps and stuck it to the tree.

slash I mailed you again, I think you may have been doin it right try it and make a post and see if it works.

2522_0_Spanking20smiley.gif
    edited November -1
    Yea but thats not made outa wood those antena stands are better than the sticks you buy.[;)] not enough to go around they get short fast when ya start cutting them[;)]
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about using one 2x4, and alternating screw in steps on each side?
    I would use a 2x6, or a 4x4. I think youd have an easier time climbing with the wider width, and I think it would be stronger- 8' seems pretty short.
    I use the store bough strap on ladder, and a 16' ladder is good for me to get into a stand 10' high. If I set the stand any higher, Id need a longer ladder-but thats me.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    quote:Are you talking about using one 2x4, and alternating screw in steps on each side?

That's the idea. I think that it should be pretty solid after it's strapped to the tree. I thought about using a 2 x 6 and I still may. I hope to build my first set this weekend and I'll see how it feels. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Islander1989
    The only reason I thought the price was high was because you will need ~10 steps to get to 20 feet. That's $60 for one stand. There are cheaper ways to get there.

I was being sarcastic hun[;)]

smilie_schuetze.gif