In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

recurve string length

juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
I aquired an old Browning Nomad recurve that needs a string.Specs on the bow say it is a 50 pound and 52 AMO.What length string do I need? Thanks.

Comments

• juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a recurve bow that needs a string. How do you measure for length

Teach them young ! Teach them often !
    God bless America!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    C&P
    1. Pull the tape straight out of its case with one hand.

2. Note the markings on the tape. Each mark indicates a 1/16-inch increment. There is usually an arrow indicator at 16-inch increments to show the typical distance between wall studs. The diamonds are for marking joists and studs at points one-fifth of 8 feet.

3. Look at the back of the tape. Some manufacturers include lumber tables or other useful information.

4. Line up the 1-inch mark with one end of the object being measured. Sometimes the metal hook becomes loose and can cause your measurement to be off by up to 1/16 of an inch. Be sure to deduct 1 inch from the measurement.

5. Slide the thumb lock down to hold the tape in place. Not all tapes have this feature and newer ones have an automatic lock with a hold release instead.

Be careful not to cut yourself when recalling the tape. Its sides are dull but they can still cut.

Don't pull the tape out past the allowable length or you may not be able to return it to its case.

I'm really sorry, but I just couldn't resist. [;)]
    Oh yeah, I'm dumb when it comes to recurves so I do hope someone else can answer your question.
  • juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well as I always say "better a smart @ss Than a dumb @ss" .I agree that some times it is too hard to resist ;)

Teach them young ! Teach them often !
    God bless America!
  • excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    measure your bow length and order the string. It is AMO. If you bow is 68in then the srting you order is 68in. AMO does the math.. 4in shorter if you make your own strings..

excalibur
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you make it clear to the 16 yo behind the counter that you measured the bow length.

0311 semper fi
  • beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know where you can buy a bow string online?
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beagle
    Does anyone know where you can buy a bow string online?

www.lancasterarchery.com one of the best stores on the web!
  • beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1