In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A little help picking a Bow

ppcshooterppcshooter Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
Just looking for a little help on picking a new Compound Bow for hunting. Have not used a bow for about 15 years and while looking there is so many. The last one I used was a Bear Whitetail hunter. I guess 40 to 50% let off. I don't want anything super fancy but a good shooter. I will not be using carbon arrows and not sure on feathers yet. It will be used for shooting the smaller whitetails of New Jersey I guess in the 70 to 120 range. I also don't want to spend a fourtune like all of us I guess. Looking foreward to your comments

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont have one, but I have several friends who really like the PSE BEAST. You can get them at the pro shop for just under $200.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • ppcshooterppcshooter Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok Thanks,Thats a start. Anyone else out there with any others to look at.
  • Big TimberBig Timber Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't recommend one single bow but I would get on ebay and look in the archery section. You can get EXPENSIVE bow for a cheap price! I've seen 600.00 bows that sell for 300.00. All bows will get the job done but it helps to visit a proshop and test shoot every bow they own. This will limit your selection and price range.BT
  • 6MMX2846MMX284 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Timber is right on the money, they do sell some pricey bows for alot less than you could imagine. This is also the time to buy, with the new year upon us, our local bow shop has new bows, never used, or out of the store for that matter that he will have to liquidate to make room for the new models, its a real shame, I love to bowhunt and if there is anyone else out there who has never tried it, do it! You can increase your season two or three fold, and what a rush when a buck is 10-15 feet away, yes feet for all of those long range hunters, and I like that too, just look at my username, but it is a real challenge to say the least. If price is no option, the Mathews SQ1, there is nothing else to say. Shoot one you will see why, but they are hot, new, and of course some major bucks, but next year I doubt if you would be looking for something new. Hope this helps...swishman
  • ppcshooterppcshooter Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help. I seen so many on e-bay but have really no idea what they are. Going to take a ride to the pro shops and shoot a few then look back on the auctions and check the sales real close.Thanks again
  • bowcopbowcop Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is my setup: Mathews MQ1 set at 67Lbs 28 inch draw, sightmaster scope sight, bodoodle pro 560 rest, 7 inch doinker stabilizer, limb savers, "C" peep, wrist sling, and Beman ICS 400 arrows with muzzy 100 grn 3 bld broadheads.[This message has been edited by bowcop (edited 12-18-2001).]
  • songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BOWCOP- What is yout speed?songdog
  • sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my limited experence, PSE is the way to go. Good quality, good company support, and the are built TOUGH...Had to have mine adjusted by a company tech because I shoot 33 1/2 inch draw. No extra charge and I'm shooting full length 2514's with vanes, 130 grain broadhead, with fingers and I'm still getting 242 fps at twenty yards. I've used Darton, Hoyt, Jennings, Bear, and Indians. Good qualities and bad in all but My Pse is Quieter and seems too last forever. Take someone with you that knows how to fit you to the bow and check out the second hand shops. Some good deals to be found after Christmas.....
  • bowcopbowcop Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My speed is right around 271 fps, on the chronograph at my shop. I fired 3 arrows and got 267, 269, cranked it down 1 full turn and got 271.
  • songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BOWCOP- You may or may not want to try this, so take it with a grain of salt. With my hoyt ultratec I was shooting beaman ICS carbon hunters with 100 gr. tips and a 67 lb pull as well. My arrows are 26 inches long with an overdtraw, the minimum in my state for arrow length. I was getting around 285 fps. I went up to 70 lb pull, and a 85 gr tip. Was getting around 310 fps at 20 yds with the crono. I do not shoot 75 gr. because the blade thickness is too thin for me. I would tend to believe that they would break with impact to a bone. If you are interested in greater speed yopu may want to try this out.songdog
  • ZwickeymanZwickeyman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Darton Maverick smooth fast and deadly
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happy with PSE
    Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.