In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crossbows ?

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
What's all your opinions on hunting with Crossbows.Lets have a vote; Pro's and con comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think its too easy. Hell, a compound bow is almost too easy with the amount of let off most bows have today. In Maryland you must be handicapped & get a special permit to use a crossbow. RG
  • crazyplane21crazyplane21 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a problem with cross bow's. I don't know too much about them though. I think the pros of hunting with them would be that they would be more accurate than a bow. And you could obviously hold your arrow on target longer. As far as cons, it might be too easy. I don't know the range but if it's comparable to a gun I'm sure the quiteness would come in handy.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I`m all for the crossbow.I have`nt been able to bow hunt for over 20yrs due to an injury.I live in Michigan,where you can use a crossbow if you have a disability and can qualify. I can`t even pull a 30lb bow,but can`t get a permit. I have the land and the deer,but am not allowed to hunt. Mich bow hunters don`t want to share the woods with people with crossbows because they fell we would kill too many deer and cause the bow season to be shortened.Maybe they would like to walk in my shoes and not bow hunt at all. Crossbows would keep ageing hunters in the woods a few years longer.Sorry if this sounds like I`m ranting,but I`ve been mad about this for a long ,long time.
  • songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In kansas disabled hunters are allowed to use crossbows if it will help them bag a deer. I believe that the restrictions for the disability part are pretty liberal too,but not sure on that. I think that is one of the only reasons that crossbows should be allowed for DEER hunting . But in my area there are a lot of trees that allow for good stands and better deer. So getting one with a bow just takes time. As for other types of hunting with a crossbow i am all for it. I love to hunt varmints with a crossbow. Last year i shot three coyotes at one setting b/c they hardly heard me and i could load up anothe rround then call the others back to with in shooting range.songdog
    edited November -1
    SOOPERSHOT- Maybe you should think of moving here to the great state of Kansas. The weather is a little warmer also.songdog
    edited November -1
    SongdogIt`s been 20+years since I`ve been to Kansas.I was on my way to Colorado and Washington at the time .Would like to visit all those states again someday only this time during hunting season. I am tryng for the crossbow permit one last time after Christmas.I think if I rip my arm off at the shoulder before I go to the physical therapist they will have to give me a permit. If not, perhaps I`ll consider suing the DNR for discriminating against the handicap.That ought to get there attention hadn`t it?
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think if you want to use a crossbow, thats great- Just not during archery season. Use them during the regular rifle/shotgun season, but not during archery.
    Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    salzoThat seems to be the attitude of most bow hunters in this state.If I`m hunting with a crossbow on my own property,I`m not taking anythying away from other bow hunters.So where is the problem? It`s a crossbow not a crossgun. If it were you or your best hunting buddy that could no longer bow hunt then what would you say? Walk a mile in my shoes
    edited November -1
    Soopershoot- I am sorry I should have clarified- I do think it is appropriate for disabled people to hunt with crossbow during the archery season. But as a general hunting tool, I think the crossbow should be used during gun seasons, and not archery seasons.
    Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    SalzoI agree with that 100%. Just wish it was a little easier and less costly to prove a disability. Happiness is also a warm gut pile
  • bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Kentucky, where I reside, you can use a crossbow to hunt during the gun season, but not the archery season. If you can prove disability, you can use one during archery season. Season is pretty liberal. Runs Nov. 26 through Dec. 5, so it has just ended. Unlimited on anterless deer, one buck.
  • jdswartjdswart Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    salzo -Why the restriction on using a crossbow during the regular rifle/shotgun season only?Also, why would it be O.K. for a disabled person to use a crossbow, but not O.K. for an able bodied person during the regular archery season?
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Ohio they don't differentiate between a bow and crossbow,not limited to physically challenged people ether.I'll be going out this week to hunt,I'll get someone to cock my crossbow for me.I may never be able to pull a bow back again,but start PT in two weeks to a month,maybe that Q2 is a possiblity after all.I would agree that more people that have never shot a bow can pick up a crossbow and hit something faster than with a bow,but more accurate?There I must disagree.I've got a Horton w/scope and custom mono-pod that can be deployed for sitting or standing allowing true one armed shooting,but someone that is a decent shot can consistently outshoot a crossbow.Maybe I can learn to shoot a bow left handed if I can over come right eye dominance.Left handed huhh?,now I'm getting excited!
    edited November -1
    SXSMANHow long is your bow season in Ohio? Ours in Mich is 6 weeks before gun season.then it opens back up for 4 weeks after gun season.You can use a crossbow for bow hunting if you can prove you have a disability. Just new this year,anyone can use a crossbow during gun season. Now why would anyone want to use one during gun season?
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a nice long bow season.Opens Oct 6,stays open during deer gun and muzzle loader seasons,and doesn't close till Jan 31.Half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset.No rifles in Ohio other than muzzleloader for deer.(22's for small game)
    edited November -1
    sxsman- Try using an eye patch over your dominant eye. I had a friend that hunted with me, right handed, left eye dominant. We put an eye patch over his left eye. HE practiced like that for several months, then his dominancy problem was fixed. songdog
    Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    SXSMAN;good that you say not in this particular order in your profile.You never know if your wife may be looking over your shoulder.
    edited November -1
    JDSWART- I do not think that a crossbow is a bow. I do not think it should be used during seasons that are bowhunting seasons.You cant use a rifle during bow season,and you cannot use a crossbow during bow season. If you think you should be able to use a crossbow during archery, please explain why.For reasons of compassion, I would consider it OK for a disabled person to use a crossbow during an archery season.You ask why? I guess the only reason is compassion.However, your question does make me reconsider, because if a disabled person is capable of shooting a crossbow, than they can hunt during the general season. So why would it be necessary for them to hunt during archery?JDSWART- You just made me change my mind.A DISABLED PERSON SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO HUNT WITH A CROSSBOW DURING ARCHERY SEASON.I did not like it when the supreme court ruled that the disabled golfer should have the rules of golf bent for him-I do not think the rules of hunting should be bent for the disabled, to the extent that they can hunt with a weapon during a season when its use is prohibited, but is allowed during other seasons. Those who do not use a bow cannot hunt during archery. And for those who are disabled and cannot use a bow, but are able to use a crossbow-They can hunt during the gun season, when crossbows are legal.
    Happiness is a warm gun[This message has been edited by salzo (edited 01-09-2002).]
    edited November -1
    SalzoWhy would anyone want to hunt with a crossBOW duing gun season.It would put you at a great disadvantage to do so.Where I hunt you would never get close enough in gun season to ever get a shot with a crossBOW Are people with disabilities just supposed to stay home because bow hunters don`t want to share the woods with us .In my woods I will do as I please. That means I will use a crossBOW.Any other bow hunter in my woods is trespassing and doesn`t belong there.Hunt on your side of the fence with any legal method you like and I will do the same.Sorry if it sounds like I`m ranting and raving. Just trying to make a point.We as hunters are under constant assault from the anti`s.As hunters we need to stand together.Why do we want to close the door on anyone who wants to continue to hunt?
    edited November -1
    soopershoot- There are specific seasons during the hunting season. In Pennsylvania, we have a flintlock season. You are only allowed to use flintlocks during the flintlock season. Would you say, that I should be allowed to go out with a 3006 during the flintlock season?To me, the comparison of flintlock to 3006 is the same as bow to crossbow.From what you have stated, I can conclude that you think that you should be able to use whatever you want, whenever you want. Is that your position? Or do you think that there is some reason that crossbows should be included in the bowhunting season?
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soopershot, pay no attention to salbo, he is of the mindset that everyone is taking something away from him. I respect you right to hunt with a crossbow. If it were up to people like salbo the only people that could hunt would be himself and his buddies "of course late at night from a truck after drinking a six pack". I would bet money on the fact that salbo hunts with a compound of the walmart varity and not a longbow! which of course is a real "bow".Stir, Stir, Stir
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
    edited November -1
    A CROSSBOW IS NOT A BOW!! Shooting a crossbow is more like shooting a gun than a bow.When it is legal to use a shotgun during bow season, than I will agree that a crossbow should be used during bow season.AND I do not drink when hunting. I prefer dropping acid before I go out with my WallyWorld bow.
    Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    SalzoA crossBOW shoots a bolt(arrow)which is thrown by the force of a string tightened by a the limbs of a BOW.A shoulder mount stock does not make it a gun.It doesn`t shoot lead projectiles forced from a barrel by an explosive charge.It also dosen`t have the range of a gun.I know you get it. It ain`t rocket science.
    edited November -1
    So I guess I can conclude that you all feel that you should be allowed to use a crossbow during bow season, because you all feel you should be allowed to use a crossbow during bow season. No one has explained why shooting a crossbow compares to shooting a regular bow.Explain to me why shooting a crossbow resembles shooting a bow, MORE than resembles shooting a rifle. You all will not explain that, because you cant.If one wanted to introduce a new weapon to use during archery season, one would have to show how the new weapon resembles shooting a bow. SO SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW THE CROSS RESEMBLES THE BOW? And see if you can come up with something besides "well its called a bow" or "well it shoots an arrow", or "well it has a string." Explain the simularities of a crossbow SHOOTER and a Bow SHOOTER.
    Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    What more do you want? It doesn`t go bang and you don`t have to clean a barrel when you are done shooting it.Other than the fact that you put the stock to your shoulder and pull a triggerI can think of no other similarity to a gun.What other similarities to a gun are there? There are none!Most bow hunters use sights and a trigger release. That is similar to a gun.Should they be allowed to or is that too much like shooting a gun? Maybe bow hunters should go back to shooting a long bow with stone points and wear a loin cloth.
    edited November -1
    NunnHey Nunn,since I can only shoot a crossbow and not a real mans bow is it alright for me to post on this forum or should I stay strictly on the gun board? Just messin with ya.
    edited November -1
    Ok boys lets do a comparison. Most shooters of compound bows use a mechanical release right? Right! So, look at the components of both. Limbs, check. String powered, check. Projectile is an arrow, check. Method of release is mechanical (trigger etc), check. Sights, check.So, now what is the difference? Let-off for the compound bow 80%. Let-off for the xbow 100%. Limbs vertically mounted. Limbs horizontally mounted.I see little difference. RG
    edited November -1
    RG666I couldn`t agree more.
    edited November -1
    Well I guess we can just ignore the fact that you actually have to hold draw on a deer.I do not care if it is 80% let off, 50% let off, you can only hold a draw for so long.Crossbow?-Well you do not have to draw at all. You simply wait for as long as it takes to get a shot(kinda simular to a gun, isnt it.)Do not have to worry about drawing too early, because you do not have to draw(kinda simular to a gun, isnt it). Do not have to worry about the deer seeing you draw, becaue you do not have to draw(kinda simular to a gun, aint it?)Now maybe some of you would consider drawing a minor detail in bowhunting, but I kinda think it is a requirement to bow hunt(hence, you have to be able to draw a bow, to bowhunt, during a bowhunting season).
    Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    Salzo You`d keep a disabled hunter out of the woods for that?What would I be taking away from you by hunting with a crossBOW?I have yet to see a reason why I shouln`t be allowed to hunt my own woods during bow season with a crossBOW.The only reason is you and some other bow hunters think I might get lucky and get a big buck.Maybe one that might have crossed the fence to be taken by you had I not been there. I`m afraid you will never understand until the day comes that you can`t pull a bow back yourself.In the words of Strother Martin from the movie Cool Hand Luke"Some men you just can`t reach"
  • bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo obviously has no dealings with any one that is disabled, or he wouldn't be spouting like he is. I have a son that is disabled. We have fought and fought against the prejudices of society just to try to let him have a near normal childhood. If he was in my shoes, he would say, "Hey, it ain't hurting nothing if he wants to hunt ON HIS DAD'S FARM with a crossbow during bow season." 2 summers ago, he (my son) was allowed to play "T-Ball" in his wheelchair. This past year, we got a call from the league director telling us that he couldn't play because the teams were moving up into a competitive league, and that it wouldn't be fair to the other boys or other teams to have a kid in a chair playing. The coach of our team the year before had no problem with him playing, nor did the other parents, but the league was totally against it. After lots of arguing back and forth, LOTS of yelling, threats of a federal lawsuit, and a long talk with our attorney, the league very grudgingingly allowed him permission to play. It's the same deal here, almost. Salzo, what is it hurting you? It isn't! Get over it!
    edited November -1
    I guess the fact that a disabled person may not be able to hold a draw is not an issue to some people. I its a good thing that its not up to the greedy hunters whether or not a disabled person can hunt with a xbow. I think for many disabled hunters the mere fact that they can hunt at all is a wonderful thing. I would not want to be the one to stand in front of a disabled person & say you can't hunt because I don't like xbows.As far as the comparison above is concerned let off is an issue to Pope & Young so its an issue to any trophy hunter. Why don't just say that no compound bows are allowed because they allow you "draw and hold on a deer almost indefinately" and thats not fair to the traditional hunters like me. RG[This message has been edited by rg666 (edited 01-11-2002).][This message has been edited by rg666 (edited 01-11-2002).]
  • ZwickeymanZwickeyman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been a bowhunter for Approx. 45 years and would not have a crossbow in my ars if I had room for Texas. I do however think that if you have a handicap and can't shoot a conventional bow it is OK. Hunt Safe Hunt Often
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Wisconsin anyone over 65 can now use a crossbow during archery season.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Wisconsin anyone over 65 can now use a crossbow during archery season.
  • sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might as well get my name on the flame list. The only reason "most" people want to use crossbow in archery season is that they are too lazy to put in the time it takes to get good with a bow. You can work at woods-craft, taking time to be proficient with a bow and accomplish something to be proud of or you can buy a crossbow, spend 30 min. getting it ready, and go kill something. Might as well pay a farmer to shoot one of his cows in the pen. A disabled hunter is a different story. A disability should not prohibit a sportsman from enjoying the outdoors. Unfortunately, people abusing the right is what leads to severe restrictions. Watch the people that park in the handicap areas with permits. Half will look healthier than you and I. In MI. we have a muzzleloader season that could be changed to " primitive" weapons season where a crossbow could be used.( Although I think they are going to have to re-define primitive weapons beings the new inlines will outshoot a 30-30)This answer never seems to satisfy the proponets of crossbow hunting. I've hunted for 34 years and bow hunted for 29 of them. I rifle hunt and I use my scatterguns. I've even owned a couple of crossbows. I've paid attention to the arguements pro and con over a period of years. People that cry for the use of crossbows during archery season remind me of teenagers that want everything their parents have without waiting or working for it. As soon as I get my shin-guard and helmet strappped on I'll post this.
  • Master7thSonMaster7thSon Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We feel anything that can get the disabled out of the house and into the fresh air instead of holed up inside is beneficial and will result in more gusto and zeal.
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    I hunt in michigan also.I have an slight handicap witha torn shoulder, that gets worse with age. I am still able to shoot a compound with a 80 percent let-off with considerable pain at times. So that is what I will use until I cant anymore. I have a uncle that uses a crossbow and he needs to! But, I beleave he missuses it... He will shoot anything that moves including buttons, after he already has 2-3 adult deer. He also claims that it is no; more accurate than a regular bow, this is a lie. Up close maybe not but out to 70yards he cam hit a paper plate consistently! Im glad he can still hunt because it means alot to him, and I beleave in crossbows for disabilities also, As long as they arnt misused.
  • DickSkinnerDickSkinner Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We know that oral sex is not sex, therefore a crossbow is not a bow. I believe I will be more comfortable with this when "bow"hunters use only a longbow.....after all isn`t that really a bow??? No cams, trigger release`s, pin-sights, sliencers. They have a lot of room to speak about what constitutes as bow hunting.
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    No-offence but I believe the "skinner", no matter how crude his comments, must also use black-powder in his 06! He shurely wouldnt use a scope either! We werent saying that a crossbow should be used by all, just for handicapped that would prefer to track than tip-over.