In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

speeding up a bow

ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
any ideas on how to speed a bow up went up on my puondage as much as i can at the moment and lighter arrows is there any more tricks that may help

Comments

• FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try an overdraw (if you can) to further shorten your arrow length, thus reducing more weight.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speed knocks can add between 5-10 fps. Its just a knock that is placed about 2-3 inches below the top cam and 2-3 inches above the bottom cam. Placement is critical and will offer different results.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info i may check into the speed knocks. the over draw won't help just am legal on my arrow size and weight
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladyhunter
    thanks for the info i may check into the speed knocks. the over draw won't help just am legal on my arrow size and weight

The word "speed" is just added, you can just use standard knocks.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kathie.... speed doesn't kill...Shot Placement does.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

+1
  • Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take everything off your string except d-loop and peep also use serving for knocks. if your bow has adjustable draw length go up a half inch and the have the bow shop twist your string, this will give you more tention on the limbs but won't make your draw lenght more than an 1/8 inch longer. go to lightest arrow posible remember you only need 5 gr per pound. shoot a realese if you are not already. go to vein instead of feathers, feathers cause drag.

Overdraws take away from braceheight and will make you less acurate.
    good luck
    edited November -1
    mainly looking to be able to take a little longer shot my arrow starts dropping a little over 20 yards at 25 yrds its almost on the ground already shoot a release at my max on draw leangth unless i take my loop off called the bow shop and the guy that usually helps me is no longer there and they have little young kids that must not know anything working there was telling me that pse carbon express don't come in 200 series and i know that they do got to find me a new place to deal with
    edited November -1
    Your draw length with not change whether or not you have a loop or shoot off of the string. Your draw length should fit your body, not the speed of the bow. Maybe a different bow for you? Hoyt's women's bow is a speedy bow and Martin has a couple of bows that fit women well too.
    edited November -1
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Lady hunter. your reaching If your bow is 45 lbs and you are accurate relax your all set dont get all tripped about speed a well placed arrow with a 45 lb bow will do the job [;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    mainly looking to be able to take a little longer shot my arrow starts dropping a little over 20 yards at 25 yrds its almost on the ground already shoot a release at my max on draw leangth unless i take my loop off called the bow shop and the guy that usually helps me is no longer there and they have little young kids that must not know anything working there was telling me that pse carbon express don't come in 200 series and i know that they do got to find me a new place to deal with

I used to shoot those also and was told by a shop around here they don't make them anymore. That has been a few years ago. Not sure if its true I never looked into it but he may be right.
    edited November -1
    what arrow whould a close replacement for the 200 series gold tips 3555 or is there something better
    edited November -1
    what arrow whould a close replacement for the 200 series gold tips 3555 or is there something better

What is your draw weight? Beman makes a Jr. that is splined for 40lbs. If not them then try Easton powerflight 500 or Carbon Impact fat shaft 5000 (they're not fat just called that)
    edited November -1
    pulling 45 pounds
    edited November -1
    pulling 45 pounds

Scratch the bemans then. Email your address with the length of your arrow plus what size vanes or feathers you shoot and i'll make you up a couple different ones that I think will work. I won't take no for an answer either[}:)]
  • sharpshoootersharpshoooter Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    those carbon easton st epics in the 300 or 360 fly pretty good. i would use about an 85 no more than a 100 gr blade. check out those slick tricks, they come in 85, 100, 125magnum gr. 85gr would be perfect, but they fly like a field point. are you using a whisker bisq. or the other style?
    i remember starting out on an old ben pearson and had the same trouble you are having.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

+1

+2. Shot placement is a user's ability and speed is an equipments' capability. Find the best set up to complement the two and you'll be deadly. Good luck and happy safe hunting.
    edited November -1
    i agree, couldn't have said it better!!
    edited November -1
    sorry just try to help, i see what ur talking about now. i guess i need to read into it further!
  • Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Go with a Carbon Express CX 200 or 250 try to keep yor total arrow weight including broad-head at 300 grains a lighter arrow will help with speed and trajectory on a bow with lower poundage. The general rule is slow bow heavy arrow fast bow light arrow that is usualy how you get the best foot pounds of energy out of your bow for good penitration. You are probably right in the middle somewhere so a 300 gr arrow with a agressive broadhead "I like Crimson Talons" would do you fine.