In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone put there own arrows together?

rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
I was taught by my Dad years ago about how to assemble my own arrow combinations. Obviously over time many improvements have come along but i still find i want my arrows to look as good as they fly. I'm curious about what compound & stick bow shooters are using. Pipe up & let us know what everyone does.

I have so many combiations i would bore you all to death by stating them all here so ill just list a couple.

i have a custom made 55lb Marriah recurve bow that is a ton of fun to shoot. I use Red Head Carbon 350 shafts with muzzy 145 gr broadheads. I use a left helical fletch & always use feathers not those ugly * vanes lol.

I have an old 1970's 70lb Wing recurve that is a beast to get to full draw. I use cedar shafts that weigh in at about 450 grains with 200gr Howard Hill broadheads.

I really like the look of barred feathers over about anything else.

Too bad i cant post a few pics.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Doing my own arrows is something that I hope to be doing soon.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do my own arrows. I got started with my Dad. If I made his arrows I could have my own for free. So with a little bit of time investment I made his and mine.

For me, I could care less what my hunting arrows look like. What I want is to be able to see them. I use blue and orange on all my hunting arrows.

When I was shooting indoors the last few years, I had Easton Cobalt arrows with white and red feathers. Now those looked HOT.

DSCO also does his own arrows if you do a search i remember him posting some pictures not that long ago.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do my own and agree with shoff, as long as I can see my arrows i'm a happy camper. I use flo go chartruese vanes with brite yellow wraps on my Beeman team realtree huntin arrows. Indoor arrows are Easton Eclipse 2512 black with 3 black feathers.
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you guys are interested in seeing your arrows i suggest trying the marabou wraps (called visibility wraps) just in front of the knocks. I used them years ago when shooting indoor targets & now use them on my hunting arrows. Its really amazing how easy it is to see the entire arrows flight path.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=50&s=46&p=73&i=9108X

or gateway has some called arrow tracers

http://www.gatewayfeathers.com/accessories.html

If you really want to see your arrows better there is NO better way!
    edited November -1
    White nocks, white wraps, both eyes open, can see flight just fine. [:D]
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats what they all say LOL till they try these things!

quote:Originally posted by bang250
    White nocks, white wraps, both eyes open, can see flight just fine. [:D]
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do mine. Hunting arrows are white wraps, white feathers with home built luminocks. Indoor arrows have 2" rayzor feathers with whatever pin nocks I have on hand. 3-D arrows are 2.3" Duravane 3D vanes with black pin nocks. I will put up a pic when I get some time.
    Joe
    edited November -1
    Were those nocks pretty easy to make? Work well? I've thought about that myself just haven't given it a shot yet.
  • pre6422hornetpre6422hornet Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been doing my own cedar/pine, aluminum, and carbon for years now. Back when I got the itch to shoot recurve again I bought a Martin Dreamcatcher and started from scratch. Back then I was single, had no kids, and alot of money [:D]Here is one of my broadhead arrows for the Dreamcatcher.
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/hoagp/arrow.jpg

Once you start it is very addicting. Now I only shoot my Hoyt so it is only carbon for me, but I still buy the shafts, cut them on the Apple Saw, insert, crest, fletch and away I go. It really makes you proud when you take an animal with an arrow you made.

I used to spray paint the crest white, but now I just fletch using two white and one Flourescent green and I can see them just fine. Besides, you shouldn't watch your arrow fly, you should keep your eye(s) on where you are aiming. But it does help when you see the white nock and vanes dissappear into the boileroom.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well taco did my last batch of arrows and as soon as i find his number i will get him to make hubby some before hunting season gets to close
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make all mine up...
    RedWraps0002.jpg

RazorArrows0001.jpg

baredfeathers1.jpg

DLDArrows0002.jpg

NeonGreenFOBs0001.jpg
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Were those nocks pretty easy to make? Work well? I've thought about that myself just haven't given it a shot yet.

They were real easy to make and work well too. I have used them for over a year, and had no problems with them at all. I have enen made some for friends that like them. I prefer to use a red light with any color nock you get a good glow. I don't recommend any other color lights as they either show yellow, or are very dim.
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy shafts and build my own...to my standards. I enjoy it and keep it simple...3" Gateway feathers or 2" Rayzrs in a color combo of white, flo-chartreuse, and neon pink. I'm not a pink lover but, its the one color that stands out in the woods. No wraps...add a luminock. If I have all of my components ready to assemble, I can build a dozen in about 30-40 minutes with an EZ Fletcher.