In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2" vs 4" vanes

FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
I am using Easton Axis FMJs (500s) with 4" vanes cut to 25" with 55 lbs draw and 100g combo tips on my old Mathews Signature - shooting ~ 4" groups at 60 yards. This weekend I tried Gold tips (3555s) XT Hunter with 2" HP vanes and getting the same result.

Other than the price difference (I can get it half the price of Axis locally) what is/are other advantages of using 2" vanes. No idea what the speed is since I do not have a chrony.

PIX ADDED:

P6290002.jpg

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

V/R

Ed

Comments

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The blazer vanes you mean? I have never hunted with them nor target shot with them but my buddy does and he swears by the blazers...he shoots out to 50 yards with his matthews hyperlite
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shorter fletch does give some speed advantage, however it looses some control.

I shoot several types of fletch for different reasons.
    1 My hunting arrows have 4" feathers. I have found nothing better to stabilize the flight of a fixed blade broadhead. I run 3 feathers with a fairly aggressive helical.

2 My 3D arrows are fletched with 2.3" Duravane 3D vanes with the same helical. They are a low profile fletch and are faster than feathers. These fletch require my bow and shooting form to be much more consistent than the feather fletch arrows do.

3 My indoor arrows are fletched in 2"Razor feathers. I used the Razor feathers just to be different.

Now for the arrows...
    I have been shooting Gold Tip arrows for years. Very good arrows in my opinion. Personally I would run a stiffer spine. I would go with 5575's from your rig. I'd rather be over spined than run a shaft through my arm.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009

Personally I would run a stiffer spine. I would go with 5575's from your rig. I'd rather be over spined than run a shaft through my arm.

Damn Skippy!!!!
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:The shorter fletch does give some speed advantage, however it looses some control.

depends, quick spins are supposed to stabilize faster as well as the FOB.

I do like the quick spin but not even gonna try the FOB [;)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    short vanes also have less drag in a biscuit.

Ben
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    I'd rather be over spined than run a shaft through my arm.

dcso3009,

According to Gold Tip's chart below chart, I'm good up to 70 lbs. I don't think this weakling can pull that much weigh comfortably [;)]. At 55 lbs, I can pull and hold it comfortably for at least 2 minutes.

goldtipchartbig.jpg

Point well taken ... I might have to try 5575s. Thanks again.

V/R

Ed
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I run one spine heavier than the Gold Tip charts show. My setup (29" 100 gr tip @62lbs) would fit in the 5575 range, but I shoot 7595. In years past I tried 5575 with ok results, but the stiffer spine was the safer bet.

My indoor arrows are a VERY heavy spine, but that is a product of the shaft diameter on the Gold Tip 30X Pro. They shoot great, and I have found no reason not to shoot an over spined arrow.

You seem to be shooting well with 4" groups at 60 yards. I would not go right out and get new arrows, but next time you buy it is something to consider.

As for the claims of the vane companies... my experience has shown the feather to have more control. I have tried Blazers, Quickspins, FOBs and others with good results on field tips. Fixed blade broadheads where a different story. I shoot a minimal fletch on my 3D arrows, but for my hunting arrows I go with feathers.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcso3009,

Will do, thanks again.

V/R

Ed
  • steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The blazers are great been using them a couple of years now. They are sturdier than conventional vanes. They stabilize the arrow quicker from what I've seen of slow motion video of arrows with both. The pupose of fletching on an arrow is to create drag so as to make the arrow fly true. Helical fletching adds spin which also increases stability of the arrow.
  • green milegreen mile Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 2" blazers are the going thing for hunting with expandable broadheads (and 3D target shooting as well). I have gone with 3" helical vanes and have the best of both worlds(stablilty and added speed). You may want to look into this. As for traditional bows, 4" feathers all the way!