In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What starter bow?

MillerMiller Member Posts: 175 ✭✭
Ok, I've been shooting this rinky dink compound bow someone gave me for the last week and I love it. This thing isn't much so I can't wait to move up to something a little better. What would be a decent starter bow. Should I go get a used one from an archery shop or just get a new one. I would give you a price I could afford but I don't even know what to expect. Any ideas would be great because I know about absolutely zero about bows. Thanks

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I'd start out with something in the low $200 range. Possibly a used bow from a local shop or maybe a browning off one of those discount website or sportsman's guide.
    If you put to much into it right away you might lose interest. You could spend $1000 easy, but I don't feel you need to.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    A one year old or brand new PSE Nova would be a good beginner bow. Make sure that you get a package price.

Ben
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I agree with Suspension, you can get a decent bow for $200- $300 dollar range. One thing to keep in mind make sure you have your draw lenth measured before you purchace the bow. There are some bows that do not have adjustable draw lenths, without changing the modules. also you may be better off getting a bow that is all set up, Quiver, Sight, rest, peep. string silencers. stableizer. these acessories can add up $$$ if you choose to purchace them seperatly. Pick out a bow your interested in tell us about it on the forum and we will let you know if it's a good deal. Happy Hunting[:D][:D][:D]
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Miller,
    Where are you from? I have a mathews ultra-lite with sight, rest, case, and arrows I would be willing to let go for about $250.00 if you are interested.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Miller, hurry up thats a real good deal.[;)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I second that 'good deal'.

Ben
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Miller--If you don't go with that Matthews, make sure that you buy your bow from a DEDICATED bow shop. Don't go to a sporting goods store and buy your bow "package" and then take it to a bowshop to get them to tune it for you. Building a relationship with a bow shop is a smart move if you really like archery and want to get into it even more
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Ive got about 5 year old pse nova that I would be willing to sell for 75 bucks plus shipping and handleling come set up and ready to hunt

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • MillerMiller Member Posts: 175 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gogolen and headzilla can you email me details about the bows.
    cmoeller25@hotmail.com
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    NO, I got no bow for sale..[;)] might try headzilla97 though [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    email sent sorry it took so long my server has been down

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Miller you have mail.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there a reason one should get a "starter bow" as opposed tobuying a really nice bow from the start??
    This isnt a rhetorical question. Is there some advantage for beginners in using a starter bow? Are they made to be better suited for beginners?
    When I started bowhunting, I bought a used Bear 2 that was about twenty years old. I used it for a year, and then decided to upgrade to something more modern. I bought a browning fusion, which was considered a starter bow. After a year of usingthat I upgraded once again. Fortunately, I got a great deal on the fusion, so I got my money back on a trade in. But I cant think of a reason why I would not hav been better off going with a nice bow right from the beginning (except that I might not have been all that interested in bowhunting-which it turned out, I was very interested).
    I recently bought a crossbow, and was going to go the same route-get a "starter" crossbow. But then I thought about it-I knew I would be shooting it a lot, I wasnt going to lose interest-so I decided instead of buying something that I would eventually have to upgrade, I bought a better crossbow. I never shot a crossbow, but I dont see how it would have been more of an advantAGE FOR THIS ENTRY LEVEL CROSSBOWER TO BUY An entry level crossbow.
    Is there something in these entry level bows that makes it better for a beginner?

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    salzo making things more complicated for us all [;)]......that's bout all I can say cause after reading your reply I agree with you.