In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I leave for my hunt tomorrow!

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
I'm more than a little excited. Our guide says that he's seen flocks of 150+ turkeys, and that they are breaking up, and getting violent. The gobbling can be heard every morning. Yep, in about 36 hours I'll be getting my first spring turkey hunt in.

I'm getting a little excited.

Ben

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you Ben. Good luck! Are you hunting from a blind? calls? decoys? I had good luck last year with a hen and jake decoy (with fan) real close together... like 3 feet.

No turkey hunting this year for me. I did not draw a tag, and am going on a 2 week trip for the bow season. Oh well there is alway the fall season.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    Good for you Ben. Good luck! Are you hunting from a blind? calls? decoys? I had good luck last year with a hen and jake decoy (with fan) real close together... like 3 feet.

No turkey hunting this year for me. I did not draw a tag, and am going on a 2 week trip for the bow season. Oh well there is alway the fall season.

I'm going to buy a couple of decoys, and a diaphram call on the way there. I have a "gobble" call, but don't know if I'll use it. I also have a squirrel call which I guess has a "calming" effect?

Ben
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    good luck ben have a ball
    edited November -1
    Thanks buddy. I've barely been west of the mississippi, and I've never hunted anywhere but illinois, so I'm really looking forward to hunting a new environment.

Ben
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

I'm going to buy a couple of decoys, and a diaphram call on the way there. I have a "gobble" call, but don't know if I'll use it. I also have a squirrel call which I guess has a "calming" effect?

Ben
    [/quote]

I would get one of the new turkey skinz for your decoy. The real feathers do wounders for the confidence of the birds. Also I highly recomend the Primos Power Crystal slate call. Makes the best purs that I have heard. Also has a good general sound.
    edited November -1
    thanks for the tip!

I'm all ears if anyone has anymore!

Ben
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Where are you going? Is it a fully guided hunt? Will you do any calling? If so, pick up a tape if'n you don't already have one and practice all the way there. Mouth calls are great when they are close but, I just love using a good ole box call. Have a great time and don't shoot when they are in full strut.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Have a great time and don't shoot when they are in full strut.

See? I did not know this! Why is that?

Yes, it is guided, but they pretty much just drop you off at your stand location. I got a hell of a deal. $250 + tags, includes lodging, and guiding.

I'm hunting north/central kansas. There are supposedly turkeys out the wazoo there with a couple of 150+ flocks that have broken up into their smaller groups. The first ten days of the season are bow only, and I'm going to be hunting 4,5,6 day of the season. Weather looks like it's going to be spectacular with brisk mornings, and warm sunny days.

Ben
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh man I'm jealous lol. I still have like 20 days before I can get my first hunt in, unless I want to take my younger cousin out and call for him [:p].
    edited November -1
    Ben

My friends just got back from Nebraska hunting. They shot 9 in 2 days! All with a bow. 5 of them are on video.

Again good luck.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Have a great time and don't shoot when they are in full strut.

See? I did not know this! Why is that?

That is only if your using a shotgun. When they are in full strut, they have their head tucked in limiting your target, i.e. the neck.
    Also, They are pretty fluffed up in strut. I don't know if that would affect your arrow or not.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben we want pics when you get back.
    Good luck bud!!
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just be carefull where you flop your butt down and make sure no snakes in the bushes with ya
    edited November -1
    Saw a bagillion turkeys, but really got ripped off by luck. I never had a shot. There were two gobblers that I was ready to draw on, but they spooked.

The group before me had 20 some shots in 3 days, and between 4 people killed 6 turkeys.

This is where we went, and I would recommend these people to anyone.

http://kansaswhitetailturkeyhunts.com/

Ben
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Saw a bagillion turkeys, but really got ripped off by luck. I never had a shot. There were two gobblers that I was ready to draw on, but they spooked.

The group before me had 20 some shots in 3 days, and between 4 people killed 6 turkeys.

Ben

Glad you made it back ok.. hope things are setteling in up there. Call me if you need me.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl

Ben

Glad you made it back ok.. hope things are setteling in up there. Call me if you need me.
    but not at 2 am on the way home from the wedding[:0][:D][:D]