In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need crossbow advice

soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
I`ve got an injured shoulder and haven`t been able to bow hunt since I was a kid. I`ll be 55 by next hunting season so it`s been a long time. Anyway, I`ve never been able to meet my states requirements to hunt with a crossbow until now. They`ve finally eased up on the restrictions and I can hunt this next bow season. Yippy!
What I need is some direction on which crossbow to buy. What do you have? What do you like? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a horton 200 Legacy HD recurve right now. I do really like it, but I like my brother in law's excalibur better (nicer trigger pull in my opinion). I have only used the bow during 2nd season this year, but it was fantastic. I am in PA and they have gone to the crossbow statewide here. I like the recurves a lot because restinging this bow is very simple. I carry the extra string and stringer with me afield, and should I ever have a mishap, it guarantees you do not lose even that day of hunting. <br>
    Many have told me that the stryker is the way to go. I have never shot one. The problem with that crossbow for me is that it is over 1K. I was able to get my horton for just over 500 and it holds easy inch groupings at 40 yards with rage heads.<br>
    There are a ton of nice crossbows out there, but your price range and the restrictions, if there are any, in your area will be the main limiting factors.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    PSE has a new deal out if you have an AR lower. http://www.tac15.com/
  • Easton Archer 66Easton Archer 66 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are still looking for a good x-bow for your handicapped hunt, i have a Horton HUNTER SUPREME SL with the Horton 4 power scope which has 5 horizonal site lines; the line attachment for tracking after the shot & the compound limbs which draw 150 lbs.
    I have used both aluminum and Fiber Strike 2 bolts with good success; and have a new set of 6 FS 2's in the original factory box for sale also. If interested, drop me a note! Aim Right-Shoot Straight-&-Live with HONOR!
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Thanks.Still doing research on the whole crossbow thing. Probably take a few weeks or more before I make up my mind.I have a tendency to study things to the extreme before I make a decision.
  • Uncle GlennUncle Glenn Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Ten Point with the ACUdraw.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another option is to go with a Draw Lock on a compound bow. This is a favorite with the locals here. They run about $150 and will fit nearly any bow on the market today.
    http://www.drawloc.com/
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    Another option is to go with a Draw Lock on a compound bow. This is a favorite with the locals here. They run about $150 and will fit nearly any bow on the market today.
    http://www.drawloc.com/

check state regs. first though. Not sure about this year but those were illegal here last year. [xx(]
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    check state regs. first though. Not sure about this year but those were illegal here last year. [xx(]

They are here in MN without a Xbow permit.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

They are here in MN without a Xbow permit.

Thats a great idea! I'm gonna do some askin on the IBS forum. some of them guys have connections to the DNR. I would love to see that done here.
  • js1999js1999 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definately check the regs. When I purchased my draw lock (from another company who is now out of business), the PA crossbow season wasn't in excistance yet. The company rep said if I had lived in PA, he couldn't have sold me the draw lock since crossbows weren't legal in PA at the time.

I feel the draw lock helps tremendously. You can pull the bow back as soon as you get to your stand. Less motion once the deer comes into view. But everyone has a different opinion on this - that's what makes this country great!!