In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

strings.... again

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm still shooting my Hoyt Vectrix. Bought it new in December of 2007. This bow is a string eating machine! The factory strings lasted all of 3 weeks. Then I had a local guy build a set with 452X. They lasted 3 months. Next was B2 bowstrings. Nathan's strings lasted the best at just over 6 months. Then was 2 sets of commercial strings with 2-3 months on each. The last 2 sets where made by another local guy with poor results too.
The serving does wear some, but the problem is stretching and twisting. My peep turns, the ATA goes out of spec, and the bow gets LOUD!
I just put new (the most expensive so far) strings on it... Barracuda strings. We shall see how these hold up. I don't have high hopes, but the shop said this is a money back deal if they don't last a year.
I do wax my strings regularly with good wax, and keep my bow and strings clean... No high heat in a car, or anything like that either.
Anyone have any ideas that can keep a string from failing? I have put enough in strings to buy a new bow, and just may do that if these new ones fail soon.

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I got nuttin'.
  • Options
    .22guy.22guy Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    I'm still shooting my Hoyt Vectrix. Bought it new in December of 2007. This bow is a string eating machine! The factory strings lasted all of 3 weeks. Then I had a local guy build a set with 452X. They lasted 3 months. Next was B2 bowstrings. Nathan's strings lasted the best at just over 6 months. Then was 2 sets of commercial strings with 2-3 months on each. The last 2 sets where made by another local guy with poor results too.
    The serving does wear some, but the problem is stretching and twisting. My peep turns, the ATA goes out of spec, and the bow gets LOUD!
    I just put new (the most expensive so far) strings on it... Barracuda strings. We shall see how these hold up. I don't have high hopes, but the shop said this is a money back deal if they don't last a year.
    I do wax my strings regularly with good wax, and keep my bow and strings clean... No high heat in a car, or anything like that either.
    Anyone have any ideas that can keep a string from failing? I have put enough in strings to buy a new bow, and just may do that if these new ones fail soon.
  • Options
    .22guy.22guy Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had a similar but not as bad problem when i left my bows downstairs finished basement with dehumidifier is best we can think was causing it,by drying the strings out.