In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

while your hunting

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
So what do you do while your sitting in your tree stands for hours on end waiting for that special someone to walk under you?
I tried taking pictures one year, got way crazy with the amount I took so i stopped that. Tried reading and that made me fall asleep. Sometimes I just sleep. I've heard guys say they take little video games with them and stuff like that. Do any of you do anything out of the ordinary?
Buckey probably just watches for deer....geez [:p]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried knitting once[:D] nah, I used to actually read my bible once in awhile. Tried the camera thing but kept scarin off the deer when I ask them to strike a pose[:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I like to take my little pocket Bible with me also. I used to do my homework in the tree, but that was tough. I sometimes play w/ my GPS so I can learn all of the crazy stuff I can do w/ it.

Ben
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I read my books that im suppost to read for the school year. Ive also dreamed of having a .22 with me to make a sackrafice to the tree rat gods

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Never thought about taking a bible to read, that's a good idea. We can all use more of that.

Knitting? WOW

Ben, you use your gps a lot? I took one with me to CO one year, borrowed it from a buddy and never used it. Had trouble getting it turned on so I din't figure it would help me get off the mountain at all. [:D]
    Around here in Ohio you can't walk through the woods more than 5 miles without ending up on a rode or being able to see a rode. [xx(]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Well suspension, I can get lost on 50 acres. GPS helps that. Also, I've become proficient enough with it that I can find my stand well off of the road in the dark, in any unfamiliar area.

Ben
    edited November -1
    I've thought about a gps system just figuring out how to use it would probably give me a headache. I use the force to find my stand in the dark[:D] and a whole lotta catseyes help too. Ever get lost on a lake in middle of the night?

• Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    I don't hunt tree stands, but I do bring along a book for those long morning/afternoons.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    edited November -1
    How long did it take you to learn how to use it Ben? I fiddled with that one for like a month before going and I was totally lost. Didn't help that he didn't know how to use or that he had lost his booklet for it. I believe it was a garmen or something like that.
    So you set a point at your tree stand then it guides you there in the dark by looking at the screen?
    I can't figure out how the gps helps someone when they are lost. Don't you have to set a home point in the gps before it can take you back there? Are you supposed to always program in the location that you start from or what? I found it pretty strange that I can operate computer systems that weigh thousands of trucks a day, but couldn't figure out that gps. Guess that's the redneck in me. [;)]

taco....you got any of those keen swords to go along with that force[?][:D] We don't have any lakes around here big enough that you can't see land everywhere your at. Unless you count lake Erie, it would qualify, I've only fished it twice though.
    Have you been lost out in the middle of one? Bet that would be a bit rough to determine your where abouts.

Mr.PissyPants, no tree stands huh. Don't hear that much. Your strictly a ground blind hunter huh. Any good tips you can give me for the perfect ground blind? I try to set up a few natural blinds each year in places I am reluctant to hang a stand, but they don't do great for me. I belly crawled through some briars to the edge of a field one year with my bow. Got within 15 yards of a little 6 pointer just to see if I could do it. He got curious and walked closer to me stomping the ground as he came in. He was around five yards from me before he finally left. My heart was pounding through my chest, that was one of my best hunting experiences ever, Just to have a deer that close to me in the wild and nothing between us but a few blades of grass was pretty neat.

edited November -1
    I plan on using a tree stand eventually but I am a new hunter as of last year and all my techniques involve spot and stalk tactics (translation: I crash around the woods looking for brown colored animals [:D]). But seriously western washington has some thick forests so tree stands don't quite cut the mustard in a lot of areas. Your best bet over here is hunting the edges of recent clear cuts. I haven't tried a ground blind yet either.

-Benjamin Franklin
    edited November -1
    Susp, I got lost on Rend Lake in So. Il once while jug fishin in the wooded area and actually found my way back when someone pulled in the parking lot and I followed the light. As for the sword none here, but I do have a Conan sword[:D]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.PissyPants
    I plan on using a tree stand eventually but I am a new hunter as of last year and all my techniques involve spot and stalk tactics (translation: I crash around the woods looking for brown colored animals [:D]). But seriously western washington has some thick forests so tree stands don't quite cut the mustard in a lot of areas. Your best bet over here is hunting the edges of recent clear cuts. I haven't tried a ground blind yet either.

translation: I crash around the woods looking for brown colored animals...that's to funny [:D] western washington, dam your in some serious gods country there. Always wanted to visit washington and montana but never have..yet..[:)] I got a crash course in western hunting my first year to colorado, sat and hunted for 3 days straight until one evening two local guys rode up to me while I was heading out and asked me why I always go in the same area and come out of the same area everyday, long story short they had me hoofing it up and down valleys the rest of the week. Never got an elk, but saw a few and learned.
    You probably got some good bear hunting in your area don't ya? Do you try that yet?
    How about your user name, I just gotta ask how you came up with that. [:)]

edited November -1
    taco I've been lost on a creek 30 yards wide while checking drop lines in the moon light. Good ole busch light always finds my way to shore though [:D]

on a serious note that could be a major problem if you hadn't been luckey enough to see those lights. I know we never seem to have an over abundance of gas on our boat and never have anyone really excited about oaring around either. Wonder how they manuver down in those southern swamps at night?

conan sword..I can't even comment. Looks like my financee is asleep on our couch, bout time to practice a spot and stalk techinque so I may have to go for the evening.[^]

• MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a gps for backup and I think it's worth the investment. I have on with a map but most of the time I only use it to get the cordinates for my paper map. When I get seriously lost I use the gps to find my way back to the cabin or car.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing I will do when hunting, besides hunting, is eat, drink, and relieve myself if necessary.
    I used to bring a book, but after the third time having a deer get within 30 yards of me, without seeing it approach, I figured I better start paying more attention. I see a lot more activity since I started leaving the book at home.
    When I am bored, and am fighting to stay in the woods a little longer, I start singing Beethoven symphonies in my head. From start to finish, a Beethoven symphony can eat up almost an hour.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    How did you know that Sus? No when I get too bored I Fall asleep and wake up drooling all over myself[:p] Most times if It's slow I will get down and do some still hunting, this paid off several times. Most times I end up Jumping deer and they wave "goodbye Buckeyboy", Laughing at me as they dissapear into the wilderness..[:D]
    edited November -1
    Buckey, I have found that those plastic crab bibs from redlobster work great for the drool problem your talking about. [;)]

My brother and I were bow hunting in west virginia one fall. We normally stayed out till 11 then came in for a bite to eat then went back out around 2 or 3. One day he never showed up so I assumed he got a deer. When I got back in that evening he still wasn't back, after an hour I started getting worried so I went looking. Found him sound asleep at the bottom of his stand. (he didn't want to fall out)
    [:0][:o)] he musta slept all day but he wouldn't admit it [:D]

edited November -1
    Suspension, yes Washington is beautiful. I love the northwest area. We are supposed to have one of the best places for bear, but so far I am empty handed. The search continues.

My user name was more of a joke then anything else. I was trying to figure out a comical user name a few years ago and it just stuck. Some people think its funny, others - innapropriate. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

On another note, it has nothing to do with * functions, though a few seem to take it that way. [:o)][:D]

-Benjamin Franklin
    edited November -1
    Well once you have the bear technique down pat let us know and we'll be out to have a go of it.....that is if we're all invited. You did hear buckeyboy is sporting a huge party at his cabin in IL this coming season. I believe anyone who survives is welcome to hunt, least that's how I'm taking the invite. [:D][;)]

the user names pretty funny. I hear what your saying about others not liking it, to bad we couldn't all consult those individuals for all our questions throughout life, they're just so dang smart. [:D]
    Glad you clarified the * function rumor, it started to cross my mind. [:D]