In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Penetration ??

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
Not that it matters a whole lot but i was shootin last night, using both my old and new arrows, all are the same PSE Dominator 200 with 100 gr head. The new set of arrows penetrate much further, like 3-4inches further. Any ideas why? icon_smile_thinking.gif

taco, thanks for callin and checkin on us, just got your message, didn't want to call ya this early. the tornado was a few miles away. So were all ok. Yer a good fella.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    HMMMMMMMM Penetration one of my favriot subjects[:p]thats odd the same exact arrow? the only thing I can think of is the spine is stiffer being new or the smoothness of the shaft is causing less friction. GOGO would know Bang, boy if ya read these threads without knowing it was an archery forum guy's like Taco would be pretty exited[B)][:0][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only have a couple of ideas that may or may not be reasons. Is there any type of coating on the shafts that would reduce friction on the new arrows that could have been worn off the older ones? Are the points the same? Anything on them that like surface rust that could increase drag going into the target? These would be my first guesses. Past that, I don't know.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    I only have a couple of ideas that may or may not be reasons. Is there any type of coating on the shafts that would reduce friction on the new arrows that could have been worn off the older ones? Are the points the same? Anything on them that like surface rust that could increase drag going into the target? These would be my first guesses. Past that, I don't know.[B)] Hey man ya said what I said in different words POLLY WANT A CRACKER[:D][:D][:D]

waco.gif

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to agree with both on this one, i've noticed that wrapped arrows are heavier but don't seem to penetrate as well. They're also a b$tch to pull out of a 3-D target. Bang, glad to hear ya'll are ok, even tho i'm up early wouldn't done ya any good callin my phone is chargin.

"Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool"anim_naughty.gif
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I have no input. I got blue arrows.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Buckey, I guess great minds do think alike! I had pulled up the page and was typing my answer just as you were. I didn't even know you had posted until I came back to check it! [:D]

waco.gif

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Actually, I did just have a brain storm. Are your new arrows straight fletched instead of helical?

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Foam targets will leave a foam film on your arrow which will not allow your arrow to penetrate as deeply. However it shouldn't make a lick of difference for hunting.

quote:taco413 Posted - 07/27/2005 : 10:01:11 AM
    I tend to agree with both on this one, i've noticed that wrapped arrows are heavier but don't seem to penetrate as well. They're also a b$tch to pull out of a 3-D target. Bang, glad to hear ya'll are ok, even tho i'm up early wouldn't done ya any good callin my phone is chargin.

Have you tried spraying the front of your arrow with a little silicone? It really helps on those pesky mckenzie targets.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Actually, I did just have a brain storm. Are your new arrows straight fletched instead of helical?

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

Oh, I see where your goin with this, I will have to check'em.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gogo, yep done that and it does help. Also had a guy tell me he used car wax on his arrows. Picture callin yer bud and askin "what are you doing?" His reply, "waxin my shafts"[:D] Damn i'm bored, think i'll head to the gun shop and see what new toy I need.

"Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool"anim_naughty.gif