In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rack found

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
MVC-001S.jpg

One of my buddies is a science teacher at the local high school so he has his students study deer antlers and different things from time to time. Well one of his students saw this deer laying up on the bank from the highway and cut the rack off to take in for him. It was laying about 80 yards from where my tree stand goes [:(]
Dang cars!!![}:)] He woulda look pretty decent this year.
Bet that was smelly cutting that rack off [xx(]

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around these parts that activity is illegal-but that doesnt mean I dont see Bucks with their antlers "trimmed" all the time.
    A dead bucks antlers do not last long around here. If you dont get the antlers within a half hour of the buck being killed, someone else will.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    Around these parts that activity is illegal-but that doesnt mean I dont see Bucks with their antlers "trimmed" all the time.
    A dead bucks antlers do not last long around here. If you dont get the antlers within a half hour of the buck being killed, someone else will.

illegal to cut the rack off a dead one that's been hit by a car? Maybe I better check, I assume it isn't illegal around here, but maybe it is. I know I've done it before [:0][^]
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suspension- I am not 100% certain of the details, but in this state, road kill deer are handled in this manner-If it is a doe, you can take it. The person who hit the doe has first dibbs. If he doesnt want it, anyone can take it. IF YOU HAVE AN UNUSED DOE TAG, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TAG THE ANIMAL!!! If you do not have a doe tag, you can just take it.?????????????
    A buck is a different story all together. You can not take a buck, or any of its parts. You are supposed to call the game commission. If you want the antlers, the game commission will sell them to you, unless they want them.
    I believe in this state, EVEN SHED ANTLERS are the property of the game commission. So if you find some sheds, you are supposed to turn them in, and then buy them back.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    holly cow! What state are you referring to anyway? That seems silly to me. I'm gonna try and look to see if I can find what Ohio says in their laws about this.
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "...so he has his students study deer antlers and different things..." Good for him. Even if the kid inadvertently did something illegal, at least your buddy is teaching them about the science of nature. If it is illegal, it'd be a good idea to suggest to your buddy that he get a Natural Resources, or whatever it's called where you are, speaker in to talk to his kids. It's the perfect reason.
    And your stand is likely in the right place. You're just not there at the right time.
    edited November -1
    still haven't figured out if it is actually illegal to cut antlers off deer in Ohio after they have been killed by a car. Everytime I go to the ohiodnr website the server is busy [}:)][}:)]
    Maybe I'll get through sometime [?]

hey Sunray, just let me know when you want me to come up and hunt some of them BIG Canadian whitetails with ya [;)]

Sometimes I wish I had a teacher, like my buddy, when I was in school. He has taken them kids to the river to study fish, but first they have to catch them before they study [;)]. They study wild turkeys, he has them out to his house on Saturday mornings and they study the turkeys in the fields around his house. A lot of the kids hunt and fish with us to.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think in Illinois you can get a roadkill tag or something like that when you find a deer dead. Oh forgot somethin, my daugters science teacher ask me to bring in the stomach of a deer so the kids could study it. Why didn't I have a teacher like this lady, she's cool as all get out.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
    edited November -1
    You can get a tag like that in Ohio to, for deer hit by cars that people want to have processed for the meat. I believe the sheriff's department gives them out, not sure if all other law agents can or not.
    Are you gonna supply them with the stomach? It's good teachers do things like that. Wish my fiancee woulda had one of those teachers, she won't even come around when I'm butchering. [xx(][:D]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gave em 3 stomachs last year and she wanted more. My daughter on the other hand hated it [:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!