In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scouting/foxhunting trip

MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
Going for a weekend scouting trip on a government owned hunting area, at the same time I'm ready to bag some foxes if I see them. The main trip is in October, then I'll go hunting small game: rabbits, hazel-and black grouse. Sadly Capercaillie is protected this year so I can't bag any of 'em. Any of you ever seen a Capercaillie?

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I've never heard of them.
    I always wanted to go on a fox hunt though. How many hounds do
    you use?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard on one and don't know that I could even pronounce it either[:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of these? http://www.scottishradiance.com/cappie.htm
    Looks like a chicken on steroids.
    Saw a fox while hunting ground hogs long before I knew anything. It was broad daylight and he didn't know I was there. I didn't know there was no season so I opted not to shoot. The .243 75 grain HP's would have buggered the hide up anyway. I switched to 90 grain fmj's after that. Haven't seen another fox since.
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep one of those. This time I had no hounds, 'cause I went alone on this scouting trip, my own dogs are not suitable for hunting(if you remember fat shortlegged Corgis). The amount of dogs depends on the amount of foxbarrows if there are many it might be a lot of work for a single dog. Just have to remember to post a hunter a every exit or block them and be sure that a fox lives in the barrow not a badger.
    Only bagged a single fox this time, the stupid critter got to curious of my campfire and I managed to put an arrow through it.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Good for you Martes. glad to hear you got one.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent