In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

deer licks

hillstomperhillstomper Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
does those deer licks for corn or apples work, and is there a secret in how to get them deer started on the licks?

Comments

• 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    Yes they work but I buy 25 pound salt in bags and pour it on the ground and when it rains,it soaks into the ground. The deer will dig holes in the ground getting it out. A stump with salt poured on it works also.

flag.gif
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    You can put the salt in a bucket with some holes in it,hand it from a tree,and let the rains wash it naturally into the soil.Hay underneath for a bit will help to get things started.They will learn that salt will be there after a rain.You make sure you r too....Best check and make sure licks of this kind are legal in your state tho....L.H.
  • Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There illegal to hunt around here in PA. Although I have a mineral block put out at the top of my dad's yard between 2 apple trees.

To get them started just put it out. They'll find it don't worry.

qman_lr_105t.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has tried nearly every deer lick/mineral block/and mineral mix available on his own land. The only thing that has ever worked is "Stump Licker". The deer literally tore up the stump in one month.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    **UPDATE**
    After 2003 season was over, I put out some stump licker. Well I've checked it twice since then and there has been very little action around it. I could see where 2 deer came up and walked around it and kinda rooted around in the snow that was covering it. But it appears they did nothing more than smell it. I wonder if it works better in warm weather??
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I put out white salt blocks or pour the white salt over stumps or right on the ground. I've bought some of the fancy Gander Moutain ones and so on, I feel their a waste of money. One thing that deer where I hunt do not like is the trace mineral blocks, redish brown ones, they didn't like those at all.

Try some pure calcium or else bone meal to, dump it on the ground and soak it in with water. They'll dig a hole there and make sure to cross the fence line everymorning just to nose and paw at it.

good luck[:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using this stuff the last 2 years and they tear up the ground and stumps www.ebaystores.com/deerlickpowder

Only the strong survive!!!!!