In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Porpoising Problem Solved at 3-D shoot! Awesome!

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
went on a 33 station 3-D shoot yesterday. It was my first 3-D shoot and it was a BLAST! However, I couldn't hit ANYTHING past 30 yards. I had a group watching me as we worked our way through the course. Finally one of the guys wanted to look at my arrow and he asked me what poundage my bow is set at. He told me the arrow spine is way too week. I need to move from the Vapor 4000's to the 5000's since I shoot a 29" arrow with a 60-lb bow. The guy at the bow shop is very knowledgable and has taught me a lot but I can't believe he sold me and let me shoot an arrow with too little spine.
I was doing well for a new archer out to 30 yards. I lost two arrows in the woods on the 50-yard buffalo target. I had fun though and I learned a lot. It's easy to focus and do the right thing on an indoor range. The outdoor 3-D experience can't be beat for realism!

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Ids sounds lime you had a good time then

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Ids sounds lime you had a good time then

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    I am looking forward to attending a 3D shoot. I just started seriously practicing though so it may be awhile.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    sounds like a good time idsman. Nice of that guy to lend a hand and offer his help to you.
    Something we do is get together anywhere from 10 to 20 guys on a saturday morning then spend the day shooting a course we set up. We all pay $20 each and have 7 prizes (pending we have enough show up for teh shoot). We give away a bag target and a block, 2 of some kind of $40 bow accessory then the two 3rd places get their $20 back, plus we have a $30 or $40 bulls eye shoot off after it's all down. The rest of the money is put into food and beer. so we spend the day shooting eating then drink afterwards. It's a good time and friendly competition. Seems like nobody ever shows up if we plan to meet at an actual 3D course, but when you tell them beer and food at somebody's house a lot of people tend to make it. [:D]
    I'd like to shoot an actual course sometime though, I think it would be nice.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At our local bowhunting club we have a 3-D shoot once a month. Then the last shoot of the year we have a * shoot of a night where someone stands behind you and shines a spotlight on the target. We then have a 3-D shoot the next day followed by a banquet, with giveaways such as gift certificates from Big R and the bow shop. The course has 10 targets every day except on shoot days then there are 30 stations to shoot from.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, now I'm being told that (given arrow length and draw weight) that I SHOULD be shooting the 4000's and should NOT switch to the 5000's. The guys I went shooting with are about as "expert" as it comes. Everyone in this region who is anyone in the field of archery was there. I don't get it. A dozen or so people tell me that my porpoising problem is caused by spine and the "expert" who was watching me all day yesterday was telling me that I should witch from the 4000's to the 5000. Now somebody is telling me that it isn't a spine issue because some chart that he has tells him that I should shoot 4000's if I'm shooting a 29" arrow at a draw weight of 60 lbs and that his whole family shoots the same thing I'm shooting and they shoot 4000's.

I had a lot of people watching me and my arrows yesterday. My arrows started taking a CRAZY loopty-loop path after 30 yards. They started flying all FUNKY. I was being told that a porpoising problem (which I haven't been able to cure yet) might not necessarily show problems until I'm shooting past 30 yards. To this point, I've been incredibly accurate up to 30 yards. yesterday was the first day I shot 35-50 yards.

Screw it. I'm getting another dozen arrows (5000's). If that doesn't cure the porpoising then I'm switching back to the Beman ICS Hunters.

I wish I knew how to cure this gosh darn porpoising. I thought I had it figured out and I'm waiting for my dealer to get some more 5000's in. Now I don't know WHAT to think. Should I buy a dozen 5000's and spend the money to see if it works?
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    To this point, I've been incredibly accurate up to 30 yards. yesterday was the first day I shot 35-50 yards.

Perhaps its you. You have not practiced at this distance, saying this was the first time you have shot out to fifty yards. You might be doing thingd very different when shooting beyond 35. Are you using a different pin? That MIGHT affect your anchor point, because you are lifting the bowhigher. I know that when I attempt to shoot at distances that are beyond my abilities, I cant even get the pin steady, much less pull off an accurATE SHOT. iF i CANT GET THE PIN STEADY, i KNOW THE REST OF MY FORM IS GONNA GO TO HELL, so it would be very easy to have a poor release(pulling the string left,right, instead of straight), which could affect the "straightness" of the arrow. Another thing I do when I am overextending, is I flinch. Ill draw the bow, cant get comfortable with the pin, and then instead of just squeezing the trigger, my string arm moves forward before release. Bad form, and anything can happen.
    I am not saying this i the cause of your problem-but it is something to consider. Personally, I would practice a little at those distances, look for any "problems" YOU might be having, and then after ruling you out as the problem, think about modifying your equipment.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo--I appreciate the advice. I'm a bit conflicted because it is the actual path of the arrow that gets "goofy". I say that because it's the only way I know how to describe it. The arrow travels fine until about 30-35 yards and then it starts doing something really "loopy". The guys that were with me are very experienced. One used to shoot for Hoyt's team. I had a bunch of incredibly experienced folks actually watching me and telling me that I have an arrow spine problem. I have another circle of advice-givers who tell me it's something else.

They actually told me while they watched that my anchor and draw is excellent and that I'm not pulling the string left or right.

On a funny note....

My two best shots were on 2 javelina at 30 yards. Someone told a dirty joke (that was actually really funny at the time) and it broke my concentration. I had to refocus quickly because I was already at full draw. I hit both dead smack in the dead center of the vitals. They were giving me crap that I could "do all that" when my concentration was broken but I couldn't hit something the size of a buffalo at 50 yards when I was really trying.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman75-Ifyou had someone watching, that is the way to go-especially since their expertise is as high as you describe.
    I must share a 3d story.
    My shooting range had a few 3d shoots a year-I participate whenever I can.
    Anyway, I went through the rAnge, which involved 30 something shots, at various ranges-I shot well.
    So at the end of the course is a "bonus shot". It was a caribou 75 yards away(I think that how far it was-it was really far). I had never taken a shot even close to that, but I figured what the heck. I grabbed an arrow, put my 35 yard pin on the spine-no way. I then put it about a foot above-no way. I finally settled about putting the arrow about half the height of the animal above its spine. I let it go and guess what??? No not a perfect shot in the xring. THE ARROW HIT ITS FOOT!!!!PRACTICALLY THE TOE!! The windage was right on, if it was another 4 feet higher it would have been an XRING. I wound up getting credit for the shot. THe way the scoring worked was 10 in the X 8 in the vitals, and 5 if you hit the animal(something like that). I got credit for hitting the animal. I was thinking of arguing there is a vital artery running through the foot of a caribou-but I decided not to.[:)]

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man