In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Arrows For a Recurve

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭
I plan to hunt with my old recurve this season.It's been about 20 years and I used Bear cedar shafts with Zwickey broadheads.The cedar shafts are hard to find and pricey when I do.What aluminum or carbon should I shoot with a 45 pound recurve? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 30" 2117 or 2216 aluminum should work just fine. If not use a 2219 I know your safe there.

GET~R~DONE!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cedar shafts hard to find? Hardly, expensive? nah. You can get them for less then a buck a piece. That is if you are willing to finish them yourself. Finished arrows run about 2.00 - 2.50 a dozen. Any good easton aluminums will cost twice that.

Anyways, I shot X75 for several years forget the size though. Worked great.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Those seem a bit "stiff" for a 45# recurve. What draw length? I used 2018s for 28" - 50# recurve. Search Easton arrow chart and see what you find.
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SHOFF14

Where can you find cedar shafts for arrow making for less than a buck each!!!!!????

0311 semper fi
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danski26
    SHOFF14

Where can you find cedar shafts for arrow making for less than a buck each!!!!!????

0311 semper fi

Ebay has some. I have a friend that only shoots longbows and recurves, actually builds them, he buys straight non tapered shafts for about .50- 1.00 depending on quality from a local store. He then puts the taper on them and finishes them off. His time it it, would make them them about 2-3 bucks i would assume, but that is the whole idea, its a hobby building arrows like that for him.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dakota... I used 30" 2315 with my PSE COYOTE @50lbs with 28" draw. Went off Easton's chart. But what ever works for you [:)]

I was just listing those knowing he would be safe [;)]

GET~R~DONE!
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rose city who supply's most of the cedar shafts for the nation has shafts listed at $2.00 each plus shipping "or 100 for $170" Then you need the tools to finish them, taper/tenon "sp?" tool, and fletcher. I have all these but i still need to buy tips, feathers and knocks. PLUS if you get 10 good arrows out of a dozen that are shipped blind to you that is about average. If you hand select them you will pay a premium for that also.

"His time it it, would make them them about 2-3 bucks i would assume"

You should not assume.

0311 semper fi