In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bow storage

DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
My bow is put up for the rest of the winter and I was just wondering if I should do anything special or just let it hang until summer? Do any of you loosen the tension? or un-string it for long term storage? Is cold better than warm? It is a Reflex Super-Slam with split fiberglass limbs and aluminum riser.This is the most expensive bow I have ever owned and want to get alot of years out of it. So, If anyone has any tips, I would be greatful for them...Thanks...

Ruric, NE OHIO,

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    take a few turns off the poundage and let her sit, just write down how many turns ya did so you can turn it back up when ya start shooting again

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just leaving it hang there will be fine. The only bow you unstring are recurves and long bows.

You will notice that when you get the bow back out it looks like the strings are all fuzzy and stuff. Well, really that is just dust, take a piece of paper and rub and clean them off. Then take and rewax your strings, you should be good to go again.
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [?] Put it up? Uh? Keep shooting it! Why do you need to put it up for the winter? Is it to cold for you?

untitled.jpg
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ENOS29
    [?] Put it up? Uh? Keep shooting it! Why do you need to put it up for the winter? Is it to cold for you?

lol

i can now just pull my other one out, oh what a pleasure. think i might just go shot now.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Wish I knew but I never put mine up. I shoot all year. Buddies, beer and the bow, nothin better....well almost nothin![:D]

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I'm a real PUSS when it comes to these freezing cold temps[:X].I work all day outside and when I get home all I want is warmth! The nearest indoor range is quite a drive from here. I should be getting layed-off from work in another week or 2 so I'll just sit around and put a layer of fat on for the rest of the winter! The bow will be lifted from the nail in the spring![^]

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    Yeah, I'm a real PUSS when it comes to these freezing cold temps[:X].I work all day outside and when I get home all I want is warmth! The nearest indoor range is quite a drive from here. I should be getting layed-off from work in another week or 2 so I'll just sit around and put a layer of fat on for the rest of the winter! The bow will be lifted from the nail in the spring![^]

Ruric, NE OHIO,

Sounds like the good life!! [:D][;)]

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Mine have always hung in the unheated garage or barn year round. To date nothing bad has come from this practice. [:D]

quote:I should be getting layed-off from work in another week or 2 so I'll just sit around and put a layer of fat on for the rest of the winter! The bow will be lifted from the nail in the spring

[:0]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent