In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Returned to shooting: Sighting problem.

Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
Ok, I took the bow out for the first time in a while yesterday. I started at 15yds so I'd hit the bale (one of the big round ones) and managed to miss it completely...twice. Well, after moving up to 10yrds I was still about 2ft high and a foot left. I couldn't seem to get the group to shift much. I eventually ran out of lateral movement on the sight.

I'm in a position where I shoot right hand, but use my left eye. I lost central vision in the right eye years ago. Am I going to have to buy a new bow (one I have now is about ten years old or so), or is there a technique / sight system for people who shoot right-handed but use their left eye?

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no way that I know of for you to find your correct anchor points and be able to use your left eye right handed. Your best bet would be to switch to left handed shooting. You have to be able to see down your bow string in order to line your eye up with your sights. Its that 3 points in line the make the correct sight window. 2 Points get you a straight line, but 3 points gets everything lined up like it should.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Not saying it can't be done, but I think you should go left hand also.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Just a funny to add to this, I've been taking my 14 year old son out shooting about once a week now. last Fri. we were shooting from a elavated stand and he was shooting at a target at 15 yards. The targets are fairly wide, not quite as wide as a round bale but not far from it. He hit wide left. I looked at him and he looked at me and with a sheepish grin said that he "forgot" and used his left eye. He ended up doing it one more time.[:D]
    If you want to stay with your old bow and/or don't think that you will be able to shoot left-handed, you might look in to a red dot scope. I know that I've seen some made just for bows in Cabela's.
    I'm not sure but I think that no matter which eye you use, wherever the red dot is is going to be you point of impact. If nothing else, it might be an option to look into. Good luck to you. Chief
    edited November -1
    Anybody care to throw a recommendation out for a left handed bow?

I have two dozen or so XX78s, I don't have to get left handed arrows too, do I?[:o)][:D]
    edited November -1
    How much do you want to spend?
    edited November -1
    I looked around a little last night on the web. I'd probably go $700 for a full set up (bow, quiver, sight, etc). Bow only? $500. However, there seems like a lot of good packages out there for under that from PSE, Bear and a couple others. I see Cabela's and Gander Mountain have their own lines now. There's also quite a few manufactures I didn't know about when I was into archery.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se
    I looked around a little last night on the web. I'd probably go $700 for a full set up (bow, quiver, sight, etc). Bow only? $500. However, there seems like a lot of good packages out there for under that from PSE, Bear and a couple others. I see Cabela's and Gander Mountain have their own lines now. There's also quite a few manufactures I didn't know about when I was into archery.

With that price range. I would look at Reflex archery and Diamond.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

How's PSE these days? Still up there, or have they slipped a little?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

How's PSE these days? Still up there, or have they slipped a little?

PSE still a decent company. besides the 2 shoff mentioned I'd like to add the Mission line made by Mathews. Diamond mentioned above is a Bowtech product. Some people seem to like the Elite line also. Martin is making a nice one that has gotten good reviews from shooters I know, its the firecat. For $700 you have a pretty wide varity. I only paid $680 bare for my Mathews SBXT when it was new.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Ok, I took the bow out for the first time in a while yesterday. I started at 15yds so I'd hit the bale (one of the big round ones) and managed to miss it completely...twice. Well, after moving up to 10yrds I was still about 2ft high and a foot left. I couldn't seem to get the group to shift much. I eventually ran out of lateral movement on the sight.

I'm in a position where I shoot right hand, but use my left eye. I lost central vision in the right eye years ago. Am I going to have to buy a new bow (one I have now is about ten years old or so), or is there a technique / sight system for people who shoot right-handed but use their left eye?
    I would try shooting instintive before shooting off hand,
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    good read.

www.huntersfriend.com/eye-dominance-issues.htm - 31k
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Tasco propoint w/3moa dot. It doesn't matter where my head is positioned as long as the dot is on the target.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

I tried instinctive after messing around with sight and running out of adjustments. I actually hit the paper plate I used for an aiming point, but that was at 10yds.

I read some of the articles in the link Buckboy posted and found them very helpful. I'm going to start looking at bows with parallel limbs, hybridcams, and a brace height of 7" or more. I handled some at a shop in OK this past weekend. It felt odd holding it left-handed, but I'll get used to that since I'm used to shooting my rifles that way now.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

I tried instinctive after messing around with sight and running out of adjustments. I actually hit the paper plate I used for an aiming point, but that was at 10yds.

I read some of the articles in the link Buckboy posted and found them very helpful. I'm going to start looking at bows with parallel limbs, hybridcams, and a brace height of 7" or more. I handled some at a shop in OK this past weekend. It felt odd holding it left-handed, but I'll get used to that since I'm used to shooting my rifles that way now.

Good luck! I'd really like to hear how you progress with the changes. Keep us posted!