In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bow hunting bees

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
Nice subject huh. I had to relate it to bow hunting somehow right?

I got yellow jackets going into the sophet under my eves. They were going into a spot between the brick under the window frame where a piece of morter had fallen out, but I sprayed that then siliconed the hole shut. Now they started going into the sophet and have been making their way into the house. I am not one to call an exterminator, but I don't really want to craw into my attic and spray them since it's so hard to move around up there. Any ideas?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Throw a bug bomb up there. You could also use chemicals on the outside of your home we used to use dursban back when it was legal, but any residual chemical such as diazinon yes it will kill yellow jackets and spiders and bees and whatever else is ailing you. What happens is that chemical being residual get on there feet and bodies and wings and they bring it back to the hive as they are entering and exiting your home. Or you could always burn down your house and start over either way will do the trick.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Also, if it kills spiders, it'll kill bees real good.

Ben
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm all for that burning the house down [:D]
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I believe I'll try the suttle approach before torching anything. Ben will notify his fello insurance friends and nabb me for fraud or something.
    I'll look for a bug bomb with diazinon in it and see how that works. It won't come into the house from the attic will it? It's sealed off well, but the bees made it through somehow.
    I'll end up offing the old ladies dog or something neat like that.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well since you're not gonna burn the house down just move[:D][:D]. I had a similar problem and I used a bug fogger/bomb and it got rid of them.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Sus, I can't believe a woodsman like you need's help getting rid of a few bees, you have shattered my image of you,[:D] p.s. just kidding having the same problem in one of my rental properties goglen gave a good idea for me to steal without asking in front of the whole forum.[}:)][:(!][:D]
    edited November -1
    All the bombs I saw at Lowes and Ace hardware last night said we had to be out of the house for 24 hours. Since my honey isn't much of a backyard camper I opted to order a bug bomb from pest-control.com. It says you only have to be out for 2.5 hours.

buckey, you shoulda seen me Sunday morning. fly swatter in one hand, a bee stung lab by my side holding his paw up in the air, standing in the living room in my boxer briefs killen bees. I think my fiancee even took a picture, just because the dog acted like he was dieing from that bee sting.
    This woodsman doesn't have a problem with bees, it's all "her" fault she doesn't want them in the house. If it happened to be snakes it would be another story, this woodsman shivers at the thought of a snake. [:D]

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I would have paid good money too see that mornings events on video tape[;)][;)][:D]
    edited November -1
    It'll end up being another Tommy Lee Pamalea scandel..[:I][;)]

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    It'll end up being another Tommy Lee Pamalea scandel..[:I][;)]

Except with less tatoo's and STDs. And maybe a little more screaming out of bee fear....and, I don't quite know where the dog fits into the movie, but it probably involves suspension sleeping with it at home while his fiance is shacked up at the holiday inn.

Ben
    edited November -1
    Right O Ben. Might be a nice vacation if she headed off to the holiday inn for a few days. [:)]

• StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One time a neighbor had yellow jackets coming in under the siding on his mobile home and the nest was inside the wall under a window. I took and drilled a small hole down through the window sill from inside. Then took a regular can of Raid but had to pry the little round thing out of where the spray comes out. Used one of those straw tubes like you get with WD40 and stuck in the sprayer hole then down the windowsill hole. Completely saturated it with Raid. That did them in.

Joe
    edited November -1
    thanks for the input stihl. I already got rid of them though.
    I found some powder that had diazinon in it like gogolen
    recommended. spread that around where they walked in and out
    then two hours later no more bees. Once they died so quickly
    I wished I woulda worn gloves when I spread the powder, but I'm
    still kicking. [:D]

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I could take um out if you want[:p]

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Try this.Has worked well for me.

Cut the top off plastic 16 ounce pop bottles or those larger 1 liter pop bottles.Cut just where it forms the funnel shape and turn that part upside down.Tape it in place with maybe black electical tape.

Hang it or set it somewhere nearby with a little soda pop.(beer also attracts them)They will go inside for a drink and not be able to find their way out.

Make 2 or 3 of them if you want to rid them a little sooner.Might try setting one indoors too.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    headzilla, next time I will call you [:D]

s.gun, I've heard of that and tried it before I got that powder. I used coolaid though and that wasn't much good. Will remember to use
    soda pop next time (waste beer???? Shame on you!) [:)]. Thanks!!!

• SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a duel with a bunch of 'em last year. I won. They had taken up residence in my old Samurai and objected to me being there to clean it out when I got rid of it. WD-40 kills 'em poste haste.