In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

beginner

kbbanditkbbandit Member Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
bowhunting is something that i have wanted to get into for a long time but i don't know anything about what bow to get and how much i should be paying.....any advice is appriciated.

thanks,

bandit

If you never try you will always fail.

Comments

• COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go down to a 3-D shooting range and make some new friends...The folks there will be more than glad to help you out and even may let you shoot (at really close range) you know arrow loss........Then find a bowhunting shop , go down and talk to the owner if you feel comfortable with him ( you know first impression). If not try another shop till you do... then buy buy and buy....
    Stay away from mail order bows, releases, sights etc. These things should be hands on......Hoyt has some really good package bows for around 400-500 dollars.......Don't get what everyone else has,,,,,get what you can afford and what feels good in your hand.....Keep us posted.................coonass

"A man is known by the
    company his mind keeps."
    T.A. Aldrich
  • lazywallruslazywallrus Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont get talked into buying a bow you dont need. Alot of pro shops are really pushing these high priced compact bows. Not that I have anything against them I just bought one. But for a begining archer they can be very hard to shoot accurately.

Also a $350 bow will shoot arrows just as good as a $600 bow save the money and buy some shooting lessons, any modern bow will put arrows in the same place every time. So getting some good instruction is the best accesory you can get for your bow.
  • kbbanditkbbandit Member Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i appriciate the advice!

bandit

If you never try you will always fail.
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    I'd have to agree with my prestigous colleges on this one. I've been hunting with a bow since I was 12 and hands on is the best way to "fit" yourself to a good bow. Remember if you don't feel comfortable with the bow you probably won't shoot well with it. Try a few out and don't let a pushy salesman talk you into the most expensive. Get what you like!

Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • n4thethrilln4thethrill Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    listen to theese guys it is good advice there are a lot of new bows on the market i have three yet i always go back to my pearson spoiler it is what i'm more comfortable with no matter how fast it shoots if you can't hit with it it's not what you need best luck on your choice

you can be king or street sweeper but everyone is going to dance with the reaper
  • gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been bow hunting for about 16yrs. Here are some things I've learned.

Have the bow fitted to YOU.
    Speed is nice but not everything.
    You get what you pay for.
    Accessories can cost as much as a bare bow.
    Buy a Mathews and never look back.

The Nut

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~