In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

broadheads...........

COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm shooting a 25 5/8" beman ICS 400 carbon arrow with a 125 gr. thunderhead...........thinking of switching to a 100 gr... My archery shop gave me one he had to try last yr. Didn't notice a big difference till I got out to 30+ yards......I'm shooting about 70 lbs.
I have so many 125's from over the years..........Hate to spend 30 bucks on 6 100 gr. just to try...........Has anyone out there made a similar switch..........

Thanks coonass

"A man is known by the
company his mind keeps."
T.A. Aldrich

Comments

• lazywallruslazywallrus Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do you want to switch? Just more arrow speed and a flatter shot? I guess if the shots you make are of the longer variety, then there might be an advantage, but for the average 25yd shot from a tree stand you might be giving up some energy. I dont know maybe my math is wrong, the extra speed could make up for that. I probably should have paid more attention in high school. Also it might make your bow louder. Right now Im shooting 26" gold tips topped with 125 muzzys and Im considering going back to aluminums and a 150gr magnus. My bow was alot quieter with aluminum I still like carbons for 3D but I think I get better penetration with aluminum and a cut on contact head. plus the longest shot I ever have taken on an animal is 25yds. For what its worth....Lazy
  • COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey lazywallrus.........Yes I did think of the energy loss....I probably won't make the switch.....It's hard to give something up thats working...........Just getting some feed back on my thoughts..

coonass

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.
  • n4thethrilln4thethrill Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i shoot xx75 2213 superlite arrows and two years ago i switched from 125 gr. to 100 gr. wasp hammer i have killed two deer at 47 yards with them and one at 39 never a proablem would not switch back

you can be king or street sweeper but everyone is going to dance with the reaper
  • gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For years and Years I've use Thunderhead's, last year I switched to First Cut exp100's which are mechanical. I will say this they are deadly! If you get a chance check them out!

The Nut

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    I use the XX78 superlight, 29.5in with a 100gr jackhammer tips and I love em! Sorry guys I think I lied so I changed my arrow type and size. I forgot that I bought new equipment last year.

Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!

Edited by - hunter280man on 06/02/2002 09:13:22

Edited by - hunter280man on 06/02/2002 09:14:55
  • predator_hunterpredator_hunter Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i used to shoot Thunderheads 100gr then i went to a Mechanical 90gr punch cutter using my crossbow i killed 11 deer and 9 turkeys with the mechanical broadheads and never let one get away then i got a compound bow i love it i shoot a beman ics 400 and went to a Rocket Miniblaster 75gr and my bow is on 65 pounds i love the Rocket broadheads i will never use any other kind it has an 1 3/4 cut to it and they shoot great my first bow kill was a turkey and i was using Rocket's in it they will make a hole and the turkey didnt go any where after my first bow killed i have hung the crossbow up now i am a bow hunter for life
  • azzeaterazzeater Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope that one of these days i'll know what you guys are talking about!

hey all!
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    I shot thunderheads for years till i swiched to the VORTEC i wont go back the hole thay make is AWSOME
  • COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the insight..............

Hey shootlow........I like that name ............and its true to aim low...........

coonass

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta throw my 2 cents in. I've used Thunderheads since they came on the market. Probably killed 60 or so deer with them. I don't think I'd change. I really like broadheads that have chisel points. When they hit bone you still have a good chance for a blow through instead of a bounce off. Why change from a successful combination? RG
  • jokor3jokor3 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THE ROCKET MINI BLASTER 3 IS MIGHTY DEADLY AND FLIES AS TRUE AS YOUR FIELD POINTS. I HAVE YET TO SHOOT A DEER THAT THE ARROW DIDI NOT PASS COMPLETELY THRU THE ANIMAL FOR THE KILL. AND MAN WHAT A HOLE. THEY ARE ALSO CHISEL POINTED. I SHOOT AN OLDER PSE INFERNO BOW WITH 2315 XX78 SUPER SLAMS @ 27.5" TRY THEM YOU WILL BE GREATLY SATISFIED. ALSO NO TUNING.

joe c knight
  • predator_hunterpredator_hunter Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am shooting the rocket Mini blaster 3L i love them i have killed one thing with my bow and it was a turkey i just started bow hunting and i am hook for life i shoot a carbon arrow Beman ICS 400 and my bow is set on 65. lbs it shooting around 272 fps i cant wait to kill a deer with it what a hole they cut good hunting
  • jokor3jokor3 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEW FOR THIS SEASON IS THE ROCKET SLAMMERHEAD. SAME AS THE MIN BLASTER 3 BUT 90 GRAIN.........FANTASTIC

joe c knight
  • CORRENCORREN Member Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ve killed killed two deer with 100 grain thunder heads used to shoot 125 grain. I think the trade off for speed and flatter shooting arrows is worth the loss of energy. But I shoot open country long shots on small deer, it would depend on your shooting conditions. if you shoot your short tree stand shots you might stay with what you are used to it is working.
  • CORRENCORREN Member Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Edited by - CORREN on 07/22/2002 15:15:40
  • tnmleslietnmleslie Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just picked up a used McPhearson. Good info here. This site is on the
    daly read list.