In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Heart and Liver

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
Just out of curiosity, How many of you guys eat the heart and liver on your deer kills? Me? I love that stuff. I can eat it by the skillet full, especially the heart.

Ben

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Not me. I eat a lot of Beef liver, cooked...[8D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Besides heart, I see most organs (liver, etc) as filters for the body. If they filter the stuff out, why do I want to eat it????
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never ate the heart but I always eat the liver. It's not as good as beef liver but still pretty darn good.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Don't eat the heart????[:0] I'LL TAKE THEM!!! Some day you will realize what you have missed during life and you will be sick with yourself. It is important to note that it is not very good if you freeze either the heart or the liver.

Susp, don't you think that deer liver is less strong than beef?

Taco, do yourself a favor and cut the heart in cross sections and cook it with the liver next time.

Ben
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    not me

"There's been streetfights, blue lights...Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest...It just showed me how much I could take...Hard times, bad luck...Sometimes, life sucks...That's all right, I'm ok...It ain't nothin' but another day..."
    -M.G-
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone ever tasted Haggis? The heart, liver and lungs of a sheep boiled in its own stomach (also oatmeal and other stuff).
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Don't eat the heart????[:0] I'LL TAKE THEM!!! Some day you will realize what you have missed during life and you will be sick with yourself. It is important to note that it is not very good if you freeze either the heart or the liver.

Taco, do yourself a favor and cut the heart in cross sections and cook it with the liver next time.

Ben
    [:p]When I was younger we always ate the heart liver and lungs. chopped it all in little square cubes fried with oil,garlic onions' then added tomato sauce let it simmer for a few hours then put it on a roll with some hot pepper seed and grated cheese it was very good. Now they say you shoulden't eat it cause of lime desease and what not. Who Knows? The liver is a filter but is one of the cleanest organs in the body. The heart is sinmply a mussle.I would still eat it.[:p][:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

Ben

Don't know, never ate deer liver only beef.

Martes, I've seen that stuff on cooking shows, but I never have tried it. I doubt I could eat that. sounds [xx(]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I eat the heart you guys can have the liver yuck that rates right up there with brussel sprouts.
  • dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i call them items...catfood[:D]

dennis
  • gonecribbingonecribbin Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The heart hits the skillet before it quits pumpin!!! MMMMMMMMM
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll have to try the heart this year ben, you've talked me into it. I try to keep the stomach in tact and take it to my daughters school. The biology teacher loves that kind of stuff, now my daughter on the other hand[:D] ewww dad, that's nasty. She'll sit in a tree with me, might even get her to hunt someday, but when it comes field dressin time, she's outta there.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I do my very best to never smell the contents of a stomach. Ugh, I can't believe they would disect that indoors.

Ben
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't do it my self but I have a friend that takes the heart and cleans it up real good and then stuffes it full of hamburger meat, bakes it for a short time, then slices it up and fries it. He says it is great but I have not tried it.

Hornet
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Throw that Liver away.

Heart is a differant thing now.Cook them in Pressure Cooker about a half an hour and then refrigerate till cold then slice thin for sandwiches with Mustard.That is good eatin but very high in Cholesterol.Causes Heart Attacks;but I love it.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by s.gun

Throw that Liver away.

Heart is a differant thing now.Cook them in Pressure Cooker about a half an hour and then refrigerate till cold then slice thin for sandwiches with Mustard.That is good eatin but very high in Cholesterol.Causes Heart Attacks;but I love it.

How is it high in cholesterol or are just funnin us?

• shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    [xx(][xx(][xx(]
    i hate liver and i aint eatin any heart
    that is just NASTY

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."