In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

food plot is working

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
So the real reason we went to S. Ill was to do some mowing and other "clean up" type things at the deer/beer camp. Well we had planted some stuff back in the woods different clovers and some other mixed seed and it has come up very nicely. The deer have found it and have started to eat it. My question for y'all is do we need to plant some other stuff for later year? The clover won't make it very late will it? Or would you just let it be and not mess around in the woods since season is only 4 months off?

Thanks

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have clover in there, it will go from now untill it is sprayed with something. Clover will die off after the first frost, however, it will still maintain some value after that. If you could plant some alfalfa it would give you a nice mix of tall stuff and short stuff.
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might go here and check out their goods.I don't hunt on private land and wouldn't know what to tell you.[:o)]
    http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/

MLMorgan
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I use some corn and soy beans in with my alfalfa and clover and pumkins to. Pumkins hold out pretty good even after the frost kills the plants, deer paw holes in them and eat the seeds up, plus they are cheap seeds. Not sure how much nutrients corn and soy beans hold into the winter, but the ears and pods seems fairly hard clear into February, the alfalfa seems to be picked at during the winter, more so than clover. darn turkeys sure tear up the corn though, ca-plunk [:D]

I wouldn't worry about messing around in the woods now, I wouldn't worry about three months from now either.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Pumkins? never would have thought. I will try that.
    I would like to get more turkey on my land. My neighbor has a bunch and he lets me hunt on him but they are generally back in the south east corner of his prop. and that is a long walk from my place. A long walk but one of my favorite spots to hunt. Saw the big one back there last season, hope he made it through and will be back this season. Thanks all!

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.