In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The worst good luck Friday night (long)

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok. First off many of you know I can usually shoot the lights out. Not to brag, but I am a decent shot. I had problems connecting Friday night. Fist off, I had ranged a stump with Buck Jam on it at 30 yards so range was not an issue. A big 6pt came in and ate on the jam and some grass for 90 minutes. It was really fun to watch this little guy make such a pig of him self.

Just about dark a real big 11 point came in. Heavy rack, 18 or so wide, good length, and a strange (for the area) gold color. I had him at the same 30 yard stump as the little guy. Draw back, anchor and release what I thought to be the perfect shot. It may have been if not for a small branch that I didn't see. The arrow deflected and stuck in the ground 10' behind the buck. He jumped, and ran into the brush, but was still at 30 yards. 20 minutes went by and he finally made his way back into my lane. I thought if he was worth shooting at once, he was worth shooting at again. I drew back and felt awkward at anchor. I had a hard time seeing my 30 pin (red) so I gapped him with the 20 and 40 and let one fly. It went over the back of the buck. He went 10 yards with the tail up and stopped broadside. I let one more uncomfortable shot go, and he left the area unscathed again. Can you say bad luck? It gets worse!

I let my bow down because I decided it was too dark to be shooting any more arrows, and I had to find the 3 I had shot already. I was packing up all my stuff in the tree and he came back! 40 yards again broadside... for a short time. He was down wind and must have caught my scent. Again, bad luck... It gets worse!

2 days before my father in law had missed the same buck! I think this cat has 9 lives or something.

The next morning I sat in the same tree. I figured I better do some shooting from my stand to see what I did wrong. I shot at a sapling at ground level near the stump that the deer had been at. Dead on, even cut off the sapling. Then I tried a piece of Birch bark at 40, and hit that too. I was not off! Then I thought of the peep sight. It has a smaller opening than the one I have used before. I like it better for the target work I do. There is a large gap over the top of the peep. I must have looked through that opening, because I shot one more arrow looking through it and hit 18" high! Talk about mixed emotions... I finally knew what I did wrong, but I know better than that. I should not have taken the shots that didn't feel good. Oh well. Live and learn.

Comments

• Options
    pre6422hornetpre6422hornet Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amazing how all your brains go bye bye when drawing down on a big un!!

No offense. It happens to all of us.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its just hard man I know how ya feel. It's every breathe for me, I try to stay as focused as possible, every 5 minutes I realize to myself if I see a buck, stand up range him take the shot. I have messed up too many times in the past playing around with deer. It helped me alot trying to stalk them, your focus is a big factor I.M.O. But think of it like this, obviously he wanted to be in that area even if he was shot at that many times, maybe move a stand for the wind direction, and wait my friend. Chances are if he stuck around that long you will get another shot[:D]

G'luck teammate[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll be back. Not for almost a month, but next time it will be with my 308. Branches will not be a factor at that distance! I still would rather take him with my bow, but you can not hunt with a bow durring Wis. rifle season.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats stupid, I think if you want to hunt with a bow and not use a firearm you shouldn't have to be made to use a firearm...dumb in my opinion
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    Thats stupid, I think if you want to hunt with a bow and not use a firearm you shouldn't have to be made to use a firearm...dumb in my opinion

Can't bow hunt in Illinois during firearm season either.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can here in minn, but have already used the one buck tag I can have here for the year. Talk about what sucks! Oh well now I can go to wisc for the rut. I'll be there next monday and tuesday. Maybe friday too.