In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

too late to plant?

hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
I hunt in South west Tennessee. I've been so busy with work that I have not had a chance to get out and plant any food plots to attract deer to my area of our 400 acre lease. Is it too late to plant something now and get results? If not, what should I plant? I was thinking of putting out some winter wheat and some clover this Friday. You guys have any better ideas?
The climate is still warm here, highs in the high 70s to low 80s. We have seen a few 50 degree nights but mostly in the 60s for lows. I din't expect us to get our first frost till late November, early December

Any help here would be great

Thanks in advance
Cody

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I would think, and I'm just guessin here, but with your temps as long as you get some moisture the seed should germinate. I would also think that the winter wheat would do ok.. Cheap enough I guess if it doesn't work your not out to much.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I would say your a little late but you could try some no plow or winter greens from the whitetail institute. My guess is that no plow would take off just fine and it doesn't require as much lime.
  • hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone else have any input? Should I use a fertilizer? How much lime?
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/
    this provides good info on fertilizer and planting requirements. I wouldn't plant a periennal this late in the year, but if and when you do make sure you disc or till then wait a couple weeks and spray for weeds, don't go cheap on the spray either.

My local coop mixed me up some stuff to try this past spring, it grew good, it was cheap, the deer eat the heck out of it, but I have no clue if it is providing good nutrition or not. Might stop by and talk to them they were very helpful to me.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am in alabama and most people here don't plant until this time of the year i would plant rye grass and maybe some clover never had any luck with the oaks myself