In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

types of shots

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have heard many different theories within archery. I HAVE NEVER killed a deer with a bow. All of my "archery" deer were killed with an x-bow. This is my first "serious" archery season. I was always told a quartering away or broadside shot was the best option. I have also heard a direct shot through the rear of the deer will do the trick if he's walking away from you straight ahead.(figure hit the main artery) Whatcha guys think ethical? Or are there more?
Oh and whats better, a pass through or sticking them? Figure if it stays in they cant clot and stop bleeding but the blood trail might not be as big due to blockage[?][?][?]

Comments

• HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    A quartering away or broadside shot with the leg that is closest to you forward is the best shot. It gives you more vital area to hit if your shot is not as good as you would hope. Taking a "Polish head-shot" is not advised.
    It is all about how much of the vital area is exposed. The more, the merrier! You cannot guarantee that your shot will be perfect every time, so you want to maximize your chances of hitting the deer well and ensuring a quick kill.
    As for your other question, a pass-through is best. With todays broadheads, you really don't need to worry about clotting as long as you hit them well. Also, most of the time, we are hunting from trees which means that the entrance hole is usually in the top half of the deer, which means that it is going to take a while for the blood to get to the ground. This means that your blood-trail will start later than you expect and you may not see as much blood on the ground as the hair on the deer is soaking some up. Plus, you have to factor in that the arrow is plugging the hole.
    With a pass-through, you have a hole in the bottom half of the deer and the blood can drip directly onto the ground.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the perfect quartering away or broadside shot, but have seen many other hits be very effective. My co-worker shot one Sunday in the throat patch and killed it quickly. I would suggest not doing that, but it worked that time. The larger the target the better. I would rather shoot at something the size of a basketball than something the size of a deers rear [:D]

Keep up the pursuit and you will have your deer.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Quartered or broadside. No other shot is really "ethical".

On the pass threw issue, I'm not sure. The only pass threw I have had on a deer was the longest trailing I've had to do. The ones that stayed in where down within sight. As far as the blood trail, pass thru for sure. As far as getting them on the ground, my experience shows that when the arrow stays in and they are running its in there slicin' the crap out of the goodies more than the 1 slice pass thru.

Personal opinion on the pass threw issue I think.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quartering towards is a bad shot. I would never shoot one in the butt either.

I have shot one coming straight at me before up a hill. I hit the star on his chest, and he dropped right there. He was very close though...like 5 yards. You need a lot of penetration on that shot.

Ben
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Im with bang on the pass thru Im not sure. I have killed 4 deer with my bow 2 bucks and 2 does. The first buck I shot with my old pse he jumped the string and ducked and the arrow hit him just next to the spine and i got s lung by 2 inches of penetration. It ran away with the arrow sticking out and expired 50 yards later. the arrow cut the top of the lung to shreds.

Deer number two was a bad shot by me and I hit her in the guts also with the arrow sticking out she ran into the only little trees around. I could hear the arrow tinking off of the saplings 70 yards later and a drag straight up hill I had her.

Deer 3 I now have a faster and better hoyt shot a doe in the lungs and she didnt even know she was hit and dropped 10 feet later. full pass through.

Deer 4 liver shot 45 yards it ran full pass through.

AGun please never shoot a deer in the * trying to hit the femural artery. I did it with a gun once they drop and bleed out in under a minute its not a ahigh percentage shot with a bow
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh and I prefer a pass through. 2 holes for blood to leak out.
  • pre6422hornetpre6422hornet Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Broadside or quartering away. I also like straight down. I have harvested 7 bucks and one doe with a bow. Two bucks were right underneath me and I hit them in the spine. They fell where they stood. All the rest were standing broadside. Complete passthrough and very short recovery. I did lose an eight point back in 2003 on opening day that the arrow did not pass through. I found the last 5 inches of arrow with fletching down the trail and never found any blood after that.... That was the only deer I have ever lost with a bow.

As to the " texas hear shot". I would also advise not to do this. I have personally shot a mule deer buck this way with my .270. YES they go down were they stand due to hydrostatic shock to the spinal cord... but you can loose the backstraps, hams, or loins in the process. I will never opt for that shot again. The only reason I took the shot to begin with I already had a shot in him and was trying to anchor him. With a bow there is such a small margin for error you could end up wounding the animal, causing a meal for the coyotes down the road.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quartered away or broadside.
    On the pass threw you have 2 hole for a blood trail which is what I perfer.I've only had 1 not pass threw but the deer still only went 35 yards.
    Never take a * shot with a bow.[V]