In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hey guys, need some help

scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
My 11 year old son has decided he wants a compound bow for Christmas, wants to start hunting with it he says. It's been years since I have shot a bow and have no idea what I should be considering for him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, looks like I will need one too, someones got to go with him [:D] [:D]

Thanks in advance

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." The Dalai Lama

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Only thing I can suggest is find a good archery shop near you that you are comfortable with and go from there. Normally if your buying from them they will give advice and hands on help to you.
    Nice to hear about young people getting into the sport. As far as you going, ABSOLUTELY, I'm sure mom will understand the father/son needs for everything..[;)]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Susp, and when you 2 start your new venture into archery remember 1 thing. Make it fun for him, if not he could lose interest real quick. Enjoy it and the time you'll spend with your son, it's addictive[:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the interest is there, he found my old fiberglass recurve bow from when I was a Cub Scout or a brand new Boy Scout, he has been stringing it with different types of string and twine, hard to find a replacement string for it, so I know the interest is sincere. Finding a archery shop around here is going to be the hard part, only 2 chain tyype sporting goods stores and 2 gun shops that don't really have any bow equipment. Father and kids time is a given, I take all three that are big enough to shoot our firearms with me every time I go to the range. The 3 y/o gets her time too, sometimes she gets to shoot the crossman.

So any brands I should stay clear of or pay particular attention too? I will start looking in the outlying areas for an archery shop in the meantime.

Thanks

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." The Dalai Lama
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Scuta, MY personal opinion is that PSE makes very inexpensive, quality bows.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I talk a lot of crap about PSE because a friend of mine (and a member here) shoots one but I have to agree with ben, very good bow and very reasonable on price. Just hope ENOS doesn't read this.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    By chain type stores I assume you mean like a cabelas or gander mountain..?? I have seen a knowledgable person or two in those type stores, but mainly just sales people for the most part. Hopefully you'll be able to find a archery shop that is owned and operated by fellow archery people of your area. You might be surprised at the amount of archery clubs and so on that are around you, I certainly was for my area, I'm talking within a 30 minute drive or so.

I don't know of any particular brands to steer clear of.
    Good luck

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I agree with Susp. Most the time you don't know they are there. A shop I like happens to be ran at the fellas house. I mean he has a seperate shop/building for the shop another for the indoor shooting. Actually I know of several small yet knowledgable places around that I didn't know were there til you talk to people that have that same interest. They can tell you where to go.[:0] I mean that in a nice way!

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine