In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

a

mwtownsendmwtownsend Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

Comments

• 41.357deer41.357deer Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just apply a little heat. cig lighter works
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heat the arrow, NOT the nock. Then just twist to align them correctly.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Try turning it first. They may not be glued in. Not sure they need to be glued in
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DO NOT HEAT CARBON ARROWS!
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

+1
    Saw a guy do that and shortly after shoot the arrow. Long story short it blew up on release.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

+1
    Saw a guy do that and shortly after shoot the arrow. Long story short it blew up on release.

Yeah, the carbon is epoxied. Heat usually breaks down the epoxy or significantly decreases its strength.

To me, this is the downside of carbon arrows. I like using hot melt glue for knocks and inserts. With carbon arrows, its not impossible, but you can't get the hot glue where it needs to be in order to keep inserts in. You don't have that problem with aluminum arrows as you can draw the glue up the shaft similar to sweating a water line.

When installing conventional knocks on aluminum arrows I use an epoxy or fletching glue. Installed knocks factory shafts, seem to be epoxied on. Making them difficult to remove. You can try to get some vise grips on them and twist them off the shaft.

With any inserted knock system, you can get a hold of the knock with some vise grips and pull them out.

I would not reuse the knocks in either case. Knocks are cheap.
  • Easton Archer 66Easton Archer 66 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easton aluminum arrows were made by placing the end into a machine which, in effect, pounded the end to the proper degree of angle to fit the nock. Easton's own nock was made of a material which, when lit with a match would flair up and destroy itself to the point that a mere light scraping with a knife blade would clean off the end for replacement of the new nock. The other nocks of the day, 1960's-70's, required simply cutting them off with a knife. I worked for Easton during '66-'67 both in the shaft manufacturing shop and the nock making room. The nocks were received as pellets in a 5 gallon jar of chemical; then each one was placed into a die, then into a heated liquid to soften it before inserting it into a press to form the proper sized nock. Occasionally one would explode, similar to a primer in a re-loading press; and scare the living crap out of everyone in the room. I had one blow and knock me backwards,[xx(] landing flat on my back in the chair. I had to take a break cause I was so shaken up[:0]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Easton Archer 66
    Easton aluminum arrows were made by placing the end into a machine which, in effect, pounded the end to the proper degree of angle to fit the nock. Easton's own nock was made of a material which, when lit with a match would flair up and destroy itself to the point that a mere light scraping with a knife blade would clean off the end for replacement of the new nock. The other nocks of the day, 1960's-70's, required simply cutting them off with a knife. I worked for Easton during '66-'67 both in the shaft manufacturing shop and the nock making room. The nocks were received as pellets in a 5 gallon jar of chemical; then each one was placed into a die, then into a heated liquid to soften it before inserting it into a press to form the proper sized nock. Occasionally one would explode, similar to a primer in a re-loading press; and scare the living crap out of everyone in the room. I had one blow and knock me backwards,[xx(] landing flat on my back in the chair. I had to take a break cause I was so shaken up[:0]

hmmm, thanks. Thats interesting
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't glued mine for years.