In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Different ways you cover your scent

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
Hey everyone I know this subject has been touched on before, but mnbob needs a little information for a paper he is working on. So if everyone gives their methods of covering scent while they hunt it would be great, please try to stick to the subject unlike the recent sheep topic [:D].
Any information about the construction of scent loc clothing or ingredients in cover scent sprays would be great to.
Know what a swell bunch we have on here I know mnbob will get all his info he needs. [:)]

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    As we all know it is impossible to completely eliminate human scent, our only means is to control and conceal our scent the best we can.
    I hunt in rubber boots rather than leather because I feel leather will allow scent to escape and rubber conceals it.
    Use a baking soda based tooth paste rather than the minty fresh aqua deer spooker. [:D]
    Shower rather than bath because (I heard) shower removes more skin bacteria than bathing and use unscented soaps/shampoos or baking soda.
    Wash my hunting clothes on a regular basis using unscented detergent and dryer sheets.
    Store my gear in scent loc bags or plastic bags with various natural items included inside, like apples, dirt, pine branches, or leaves.
    Spray scent blocker and cover scents on myself before entering the woods, plus another dose once I reach my stand.
    I wear light clothing until I get to my stand to cut down on prespiration. oh yeah use unscented deoderant to.
    One of the best cover scents I ever used was skunk for trapping, would take some getting used to to use that deer hunting though.
    I believethe scent loc clothing liners are made with a charcoal substance that helps to obsorb odor, or maybe the really old ones were.
    I will edit and add info as I think of it.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I'm not real good on scent control, or not as good as a lot of people anyway. I do shower with a scent killer body soap and shampoo, wash my clothes in a scent killer detergent, I do use a leather boot but never wear them indoors and always put them in a plastic bag when they go in. Scent free deoderant. I also use carbon blast spray, scent killer autum formula of course to fit the time of year won't use that late season, spray my legs and boots with doe urine. I think thats it[?].
    I am adding the scent loc base layer here soon, unless the wife hints that it may be a christmas present.
    But you know, I know a fella that doesn't do anything but rubber boots and doe urine and he kills deer every year, nice deer. In fact only washes the outer garments at the beginning of the year and at the end but never during season. And the under garments son't get washed in any scent killer stuff. I keep thinking scent is important and every year I help him drag deer out of the woods. Could it be because the 80 acres we hunt on has a few houses around it??? Can deer become somewhat "used" to human scent?? Sorry I jumped subject again[V].

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont do much. I wear clean clothes, washed in scent free detergent, every time I go out. I spray those "autumn leaves" type cover on each layer of clothing. I then use food scents, ie, apple, vanilla.
    And when I start off into the woods, I step in the first pile of deer droppings I find-if you do that, make sure you are careful when walking on rocks, ya might slip.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uh fart and blame it on the dog[:D] just kidding. I shower using scent away soap and shampoo. I wash my hunt clothing in scent away detergent, then I store my clothing in a garbage bag with pine bows, on a side note if you do this make sure you either use a clear bag so the contents will be visible or you mark the bag to avoid your clothes accidently being discarded in the trash like what happened to me 3 years ago.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Ive tried just about everthing with mixed results. the only true way is to have the wind in your favor. other than that the usual scent away soap, shower, rubber boots, all that jazz. and no Ipee right out of my stand this does not bother them one bit. I used to pee in a bottle but most of it ended up on me anyway, so I said screw it.Deer actually stop and sniff it. they dont * at all.[:I][:o)]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with buckey on using the wind to your advantage. However i'm like most here, I use scent away soap, wash my clothes and use a dryer sheet with scent away. I keep my hunting close in a tote and unless wahing them they never see the inside of my house. I do have scent lock long underwear, but the rest of my clothes are just regular camo. I spray a cover scent before I enter the woods. My dad use to put pure vanilla extract or step on an apple and use that as a cover scent. I chew tobacco when I hunt, even spit on a few young deers heads in the past... Ya know how hard it was for me to do this without crackin a joke[:D]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually light a match and crack a window, if I don't I * any female I might be stalking!![}:)][:D][:o)]
  • cgs500cgs500 Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been standing over top of the woodstove while I put wood in and let my clothes get a little smokey, it hasn't spooked the deer. Just have to remember not to breath while doing it. (standing over the stove that is)
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't the smell of smoke scare a deer? One it means something might be on fire, two usually man comes with the scent of smoke.[?]
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One week before bow season Bang and I were down south finishing preperations for opening weekend. We sat saturday night by the big camp fire til who knows when. Next morning I was up first and stoked the blaze and sat around. I soon got up and looked towards the stand that was up 100 yards or so from camp. Well I saw nothing because within 30 seconds of me moving 20 feet deer were blowing at me not 30 yards from where I had been sitting in a white lawn chair and wearing a white tee shirt. So I am not at all ever going to worry about a fire unless it is through out the woods.[:D]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Ok since I have seen things about farting on here I am going to brave this topic.... One thing with scents I have been wondering about is when a female is on her period. Ok guys I know yall dont have first hand knowledge about this but has anyone heard if it spooks the deer or not? I have never been brave enough to bring this up with male friends in person simply because I rather not make them blush but you guys... well who cares... just kidding I like all of yall. So give me some imput on that please.
    edited November -1
    My sister in-law hunts during hers and it doesn't seem to affect the deer she sees or gets close to her.

edited November -1
    Yep, I'm with taco on this. I know a couple female hunters and they have actually commented on how they were worried it would affect their hunting and it didn't.
    Hey thanks for looking to us for the answer. How sweet is that![:X] oops crap wrong face.[^]

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
    edited November -1
    Speaking of scents, have any of ya'll ever heard that if a woman is pregnant and pees near her stand it will attract bucks? If it does, bang ya need to get yer woman in the woods[:D]

edited November -1
    Somebody should have told me earlier, I can't take anymore bucks this year. With a house full of girls I'm not even going to make an effort at it for next year.[:D]