In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ben, seen this yet?

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050524173309990004

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    yeah, I have. That is awesome. Huge friggin fish!!! I have absolutely no idea how you would even get a fish that big in the boat. I was watching it on the news last night, and they had her in a small tank, and the old girl was just a'rollin in it. Absolutely phenomenal, but we all know that they're there.

Ben

Edit: That picture almost doesn't do it Justice. That ol' boy was on the news last night and looked about 6'6", and BIG!!!

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is one big ole catfish. I think i'd have to try keppin her alive and when all settled toss her back.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    This may sound stupid who checked to see if it was a her. I'll bet it was "little Vinnie"[:0]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I just figured that since it is a Full moon, the females would be on bed and be aggressive. So, it could be a male, but I'd think female first.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone else see that this is a BLUE CAT! They aren't supposed to get the big, wow.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    thats a minnow from where i come from

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I know, I couldn't believe 124 pounds. Wow! I wondered how they got it into a boat to. We caught a flathead that weighed 73 and it took two of us to pull it up over into the boat with plenty of trouble I might add. That one had been on a trout line most of the evening to, so it should have been worn out.
    pretty wild.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The word is it died on the way to KANSAS!
    And just tell me why you would take it to freaken Kansas when the S.O.B. was an ILLINOIS catch??????

Oh, Maybe to kill it....[?]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
    edited November -1
    Somebody at work told me they put it in a Cabelas store in IL, he could of made that up though, I am rather gulible. [:D]

• DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Question!.....Is the meat on those VERY LARGE catfish any good to eat???? I love catfish and catch and eat alot during the summer but have never caught one over 28"? or so...I always wondered if those big-ones were as good to eat as the little ones???.... Do you cut them into steaks or chunks???...Just curious, {in case I ever hook into one!}

Ruric, NE OHIO,
    edited November -1
    Dirtyrat

Anything that large will taste so bad to eat that it is not even worth cutting up.

I don't eat catfish out of lakes at all, they are crap to eat no matter what you do with them. I will eat up to about a 5 pound catfish out of a pond. If the pond is sparkling clean, then i might go up to 7 or 8 lbs and make sure that I have plenty of 7UP on hand to soke them in. And for some reason blue cats are much better eating then channels imo.
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the inter view with the man that caught the fish. He said Cabelas was going to make latex molds of the fish and he hope to get one. They plan to display the fish in their stores.[:o)]quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    Somebody at work told me they put it in a Cabelas store in IL, he could of made that up though, I am rather gulible. [:D]

MLMorgan
    edited November -1
    They "PLANNED" to display, the fish died during transport according to a thread in general discussion area.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension

I don't think Illinois has a store, Kansas was probably the closest one. Why not Bass Pro shop, there's one in St. Louis Mo. I know it's a mute point, me smells money and not "DONATE" like he said.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    Question!.....Is the meat on those VERY LARGE catfish any good to eat???? I love catfish and catch and eat alot during the summer but have never caught one over 28"? or so...I always wondered if those big-ones were as good to eat as the little ones???.... Do you cut them into steaks or chunks???...Just curious, {in case I ever hook into one!}

Ruric, NE OHIO,

The key is to allow them to clean out. We eat 30 pounders fairly regular, have cut up a few that hung around 50. These are flatheads, not channels or blues. A flathead will darn near live all night lieing on the bank so they are a piece of cake to transport. After you catch a few put them in a deep hole of a clean creek or something similar. We put fence around a hole about 8 foot diamter, we'll leave them in there a few days and no more mud lines or mushy meat when their fillet. As far as cooking them it's your call, I chunk em, strip them and batter, grill the fillets, wrap in foil with butter and onions, pan fry, anything will work.
    We do eat some while we're fishing, usually 10 or 12 pounders. Sure is some pretty good tasting crap I think. Might be the help from Busch Light though. [:D]