In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

One eye open or two.

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well I have found my zone, at least at 20 and 30 yards.
If I can do the following I will hit my target spot on, well, within a couple of inches.
If I mess up I am way off, now I just have to practice to make sure I don't "mess up".
When I pick my target and I have just pulled back the bow, I need to have my right eye looking through the sight hole and focused on the level bubble that is on the sight.
My left eye is open or slightly squinted.
I look up to the sight pin that I need to use and focus on that.
The back sight target will be slightly blurry, but I can see the pin is on it.
Release the arrow and BANG! spot on.
Now if my left eye tries to influence where I see the sight pin I will miss several inches to the right.
If I close my left eye I do not hit the target as closely.
It reminds me of those posters that you stare at and all of a sudden the "picture" comes in to view.
I was just curious about how others who have more experience keep the eyes when shooting.
DSM

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I shot with both eyes open for 2 seasons, and liked it...then, one day, I couldn't do it anymore, and had to close my eye.

I liked shooting with both eyes open because it enabled me to shoot later, and to see more of the target. If you can do it, without issues, then continue. You won't regret it.

Ben
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot indoors with two eyes open. I don't have a problem with focusing in the indoor type of light. However, once I go out doors I have problems shooting two eyes open. The light or busyness doesn't let me focus, so I close my eye.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I used to shoot 1 eye, now I shoot both. I do have to close my left for a brief moment to get "on target" but then open it. For me I can see the arrow flight and impact much better compared to one eye.

quote: busyness doesn't let me focus

Maybe you have ADD [;)][:D]
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot both eyes fully open. Just comes more natural for me. Also works for shotguns, pistols, and rifles.
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I have to shoot 1-eyed, as I am left eye dominant and I shoot right handed. If I try to shoot with both eyes open, my left eye will always take over and I am way off target.

It has gotten to the point where I am teaching myself to shoot shotguns left handed, so that I can shoot with both eyes open on the skeet range or when bird hunting. Having to close one eye while doing either one of those things makes for a tough day.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I also have to close one eye...
    sometimes to not see double.[:0][:D]
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

Me too.[:D]
    edited November -1

If you would slow down on the 12oz curls you would be fine!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009

are you suggesting I have a drinking problem?

I do I have two hands and only one mouth[:o)][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009

are you suggesting I have a drinking problem?

I do I have two hands and only one mouth[:o)][:D]

Besides your foot is in your mouth, so how are you going to get a drink from each hand in there.... HAA!

Fun times.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting with one eye for ever,weather it's a gun or bow. It's just natural and no I don't care what the other animals are doing in the woods or in the sky.
  • watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    Yeah, but the other animals could flank you.[:0][:D]
  • phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found that I cannot be consistent enough with a bow with both eyes open.
    Maybe it is my eyes, but I have to many shots that are being controlled by my left eye and are being set nearly 9" off.
    Looks like I will have to make one eye open work for me.
    DSM
  • Remington1981Remington1981 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

If you are having trouble seeing double with both eyes open just squint a little, it will clear right up
  • 11c2v11c2v Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot left handed. I am right handed with my right eye being master. But, as my right eye is 20/100, I have learned to south paw. I take aim with my left, then open the right and release with a complete sight picture. Works well for me. I shoot about 290 avg on 5 spot with a Mathews Featherlight. Same for hunting.
    Blue skies