In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Whisker Buscuit--what kind of fletching?

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
I have a Whisker Biscuit on my bow (PSE Predator). I've been shooting fairly well with it. It's my first bow and I'm new to the archery thing.

What kind of fletching should I use if I'm using a Whisker Buscuit? Is the biscuit hard on fletching? I've been using Turbo Nocks instead of fletching lately but I've been breaking those like crazy. You can't shoot at the same target twice if you are using a Turbo NOck. It's easy to destroy a Turbo Nock if your second arrow comes too close to the first one.

Should I go with feathers or vanes? Feathers seem to make a little more sense to me since they would probably retain their shape after being folded back by the buscuit.

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Idsman, I have always preferred plastic vanes. They do have their drawbacks, but I really like their durability. I really don't believe that a mis-shapen vane will throw your arrow off that much, unless you're shooting for points. If I were you, I'd try one set of plastic vanes with a helical twist and one set with straight vanes just to see what your bow spits out better. If straight vane works for you, you will add some serious speed.

Another note: This year's biscuit has softer whiskers where your vanes come in contact, that should make it a little more gentle.

Don't be a stranger. We got a nice little friendly/unmoderated forum over here.

Ben
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I asked the bow shop guy the same question the other day he told me to use plastic fleching it will not come off. he then proceded to show me some of his arrows that hes shot through his bow still intact

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vanes are the best choice out of a biscuit, more durability than feathers. I still shoot feathers through mine (personal prefference) but I have to re-fletch after awhile because half the feathers are gone. Biscuits are very hard on feathers, after awile you have a half naked arrow.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was downtown today. I stopped by the bowshop. The guy that runs it is one hell of a fellow. Always full of good knowledge he's willing to share.

He was telling me that even plastic fletching can get ripped off while passing through the whisker buscuit. He told me that I should get a whisker buscuit made for aluminum arrows instead of the carbon arrow buscuit. He says that it doesn't make a bit of difference if you're shooting carbon through a buscuit made for aluminum.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    I was downtown today. I stopped by the bowshop. The guy that runs it is one hell of a fellow. Always full of good knowledge he's willing to share.

He was telling me that even plastic fletching can get ripped off while passing through the whisker buscuit. He told me that I should get a whisker buscuit made for aluminum arrows instead of the carbon arrow buscuit. He says that it doesn't make a bit of difference if you're shooting carbon through a buscuit made for aluminum.

I shot plastic vanes mainly due to the weather, them feathers don't like rain or much snow.
    Now your second paragraph on, I never knew they had different one for aluminum or carbon arrows, so your better off talking to him more. [:D][;)]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    DURAFLETCH PLASTIC VANES. YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM THEY LAST A LONG TIME. BISCUIT IS NOT THAT HARD ON FLETCHING. ESPECIALLY THE NEW ONE WITH THE SOFTER BRICELS.[;)][;)]
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to stick with the Turbo Nock. They've been working well for me and there is no question that they will last a very long long time while using a Whisker Buscuit.