In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bear Hunt

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
Just got back from my second bear hunt in Saskatchewan, Canada. There were 4 hunters in our camp and all four hunters brought home a bear. The outfitter I hunted with does a great job putting you on a good bear. If anyone is interested in a Saskatchewan bear hunt you can e-mail me at bkt76rpt79@aol.com and I will give you all the details.

Hornet

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    A supplier from work, also a friend, wants me to go on a black bear hunt to Canada with him and two other guys. $1800, you buy your own food, provide your own transportation to & from their base camp. Seems steep for a little ole black bear, what do you guys think? It's semi guided, meaning they drop you off in the morning and pick you up in the evening. Plus, he checked with the place and they said no archery, firearms only. I think I'm gonna pass on this one, but have any of you done much bear hunting?

For that kind of money I could make two trips to Colorado for Elk. [:D]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Never done it but I think I would pass. Archery maybe!! but not firearm

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Last year was a first for bowhunting Black Bear. I didn't take one home but drew on a couple and saw many more. I only spot and stalk and I'm always on the ground. I had some exciting times last season.

$1,800 sounds like way too much. After all that you gotta take care of transporting, butchering, and if its trophy material you have a taxidermist to deal with. Of course its in Alaska, the last great wilderness. I'll hunt bear there some day but it won't be with that type of price tag.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    That's how I felt to, thanks for confirming for me. I didn't want to think I was missing out.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Sus'...I just got an invite to hunt bear in Canada, 3rd week of August, a very similar situation to your offer...$1200. It's archery only I believe. What kind of challenge would if be to hunt bears over bait with a gun anyway???
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    to tell ya the truth I love hunting but i dont think I could kill a bear i dont know why just dont think i could do it

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That does seem a little steep to me. I did the archery one a few years ago in Cananda, only reason I went is was all paid for. Had a great time, shot a bear, smoked some cuban cigars, and enjoyed life. Don't know if i'd pay for a hunting trip there, I can find better ways to spend my money.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    what would a good price for a bear hunt be

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Sounds too expensive. Maybe thats almost the same as a guaranteed kill.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.