In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Buckey the latest out of state info

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
Blagojevich signs bow-hunting bill

Number of nonresident hunters raised from 15,000 to 20,000

Wednesday, June 8, 2005

By Chris Young

OF Copley News Service

SPRINGFIELD - Gov. Rod Blagojevich signed legislation Tuesday raising the number of nonresident archery deer hunters allowed in Illinois from 15,000 to 20,000.
The number of nonresident archery hunters has been a source of controversy as the popularity of deer hunting in Illinois has grown in recent years. Some Illinois hunters say they're losing hunting opportunities because outfitting companies that cater to out-of-staters have leased prime hunting grounds.

Outfitters provide access to hunting grounds, guide services and, in some cases, food, lodging and other support to hunters. Capping the number of out-of-state hunters unfairly limits their ability to do business, they say.

Bob Becker, president of the Illinois Federation for Outdoor Resources, said the Illinois Department of Natural Resources - not the Legislature - should be making decisions about deer herd management.

"It's a real slap in the face to Illinois residents and sportsmen," Becker said. "I'm real disappointed in our legislative sportsmen's caucus and our director" (DNR director Joel Brunsvold).

"Irregardless of the contents of the bill, our position has been that the director has the authority to manage the wildlife of Illinois," Becker said. "It bails him out of having to make an unpopular decision."

DNR spokeswoman Gayle Simpson said the department was pleased with the passage of House Bill 1074.

"We're happy," she said. "It was a bill that simultaneously manages the deer herd and encourages the development of small businesses, such as outfitters."

John Buhnerkempe, chief of DNR's division of wildlife resources, said the legislative process allowed a compromise to be worked out. One bill introduced during the Legislature's spring session sought to remove restrictions on the number of non-resident hunters altogether.

"A lot of landowner groups wanted to be sure the agency would issue an appropriate number of permits to satisfy their constituents," he said. "The only way to get by the agency was to pass a statute."

Buhnerkempe said the bill also includes a fee increase, something that had to be done by statute. Also, once passed by statute, rules are harder to change.

"If we get a new director who wants to drop the cap to 5,000, he can't do that," he said.

The cost of a permit that allows two deer to be taken will go up for out-of-state archery hunters. The law sets a maximum price of $325 this year, $375 in 2006 and $425 in 2007. Permits cost $225 last year. A hunter also must buy a hunting license and habitat stamp.

Simpson said revenue from the increase - estimated to be worth about $3.2 million in the first year - will pay for operation of the new point-of-sale automated licensing system, help pay for chronic wasting disease testing and boost the Sportsmen Against Hunger Program.

Becker said he fears the new law will invite other special interests, such as anti-hunting groups or gun control advocates, to use the legislature to perform an end-run around DNR rules.

He also said fees to hunt in neighboring states could rise in the wake of the passage of HB1074, making it more expensive for Illinois hunters to travel elsewhere.

"We're pretty sad," he said. "Not that it happened, but the way that it happened."

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Gee wizz thats steep. I'm not hunting deer I'm buying one.[xx(]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    You still comin' to Illinois?

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    I think so waiting for the mope outfitter to call me.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I wish I had enough land you could just come hunt on me but I just don't have enough yet. Keep me posted as to when you are comin' I'll give up a days hunt to come meet ya. Hell I can hunt here all season but will maybe only have one opportunity to meet you and buy you a beer.

edited November -1
    sounds cool I'll be posting ta let ya know.