In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Carbon arrows shatter?

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
I don't get it. I thought carbon was the next best thing in the world of arrow shafts. My supervisor only shoots aluminum because he says that carbon arrows will shatter in freezing weather if you accidentally hit a shoulder. Has anyone found this to be true? Will freezing temps (0-32) cause a carbon arrow to shatter?

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman-RELAX!!!!
    Dont let your new hobby drive you crazy!!
    I have heard stories about carbon arrows breaking, but I dont know anyone who has experienced it first hand. If you are concerned about it, why not use aluminum? They are durable, and they last forever. I suppose you lose on the speed end, but when you get right down to it, alumkinum arrows have PLENTY of speed and energy to kill a deer.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Easton just came out with a a/c/e carbon arrow the guy at the bow shop told me that u could shoot it into a cinder block and it wont break

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been useing carbon shafts for several years. I was a stanch aluminum arrow user but switched to carbon because they do not break as easy as aluminum. I am still useing carbon shafts I purchased when I switched. They are scared up and are real dull looking but they shoot as stright as my brand new ones. I just replace the fletchings when they wear out.
    4 years ago I went on a exotic hunt in west Texas. I was fortunit enough to have a nice Audad come close enough for a shot. These are very tough animals to bring down with a bow. I made a quarting away shot on him and my carbon arrow caught the lungs and went through the off side leg bone, not the shoulder but the leg bone. My arrow did break when the Audad ran. But it did not shater on that very solid hit. You cant go wrong with either type of shaft. After using carbon shafts for a while now I personaly prefer them to aluminum.

Hornet
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot carbon arrows for one simple reason THEY DON'T BEND. Aluminums are great if you don't mind inaccuracy, after every shot and every time you pull them out of the target they bend a little bit. I went to carbon arrows and found there consistency to be a lot better, not to mention the gain in speed. For me switching back to aluminums is not even an option, and anybody who hasn't tried carbons should.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This will be an on going discussion for years, personal prefference will be your best bet. So try shooting both and see which one you like better. I'm still shooting aluminum, they haven't failed me yet and i've taken around 40 deer in my life with a bow. I have nothing against carbon just like my aluminum so no need to change. As salzo said just enjoy your new hobby.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot aluminiums and goldtip xt carbons. I've hit stones with my carbon arrows and only thing that broke was the nock, so I don't think the shoulder would be a problem.
  • HunterguyHunterguy Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What brand broke on you?
    there are a ton of leeser quality carbons out there now!
    I like Goldtips.
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gold tips are nice, but Carbon Express is the best. I would stay away from Easton Axis. I bent a old carbon express intill the tip and the nock where almost touching and it didint break.

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent)
    turkey.gif
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my bow set around 65 lbs and have been using Beman ICS Hunter 340's and have been doing well with them lately. I heard that you shouldn't hunt with arrows that you have practiced with over and over and over again because carbon can develop invisible fracture lines and fail if they are heavily used even if they appear good and functional. Now I'm being told to buy a dozen. Practice with six and save the other six for practice broadheads and then a few for JUST hunting broadheads that haven't been shot much.

Too much silly voodoo. I'm going to just live and learn and see what works for me.
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just test your arrows; bend them a little adn twist them: if the make some odd sound or feel rubbery they have fractures.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    I shoot carbon arrows for one simple reason THEY DON'T BEND. Aluminums are great if you don't mind inaccuracy, after every shot and every time you pull them out of the target they bend a little bit.

I have never experienced this at all. I have aluminum arrows that are six years old, I still use them, and they are very consistent.
    Nothing against carbons- I dont use them because I am happy with what I am using.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    I shoot carbon arrows for one simple reason THEY DON'T BEND. Aluminums are great if you don't mind inaccuracy, after every shot and every time you pull them out of the target they bend a little bit.

I have never experienced this at all. I have aluminum arrows that are six years old, I still use them, and they are very consistent.
    Nothing against carbons- I dont use them because I am happy with what I am using.

-Jimmy the cheese man
    Aluminum arrows definatly bend. You can't see it with your eye or by spinning them but if you put a caliper gauge on them they will somtimes be out 4 to 5 thouslands out thats not good. They will still be pretty accurate but just not perfect. Carbon arrows,I don't know about other brands but I shoot gamegetter carbon express select they don't splinter or shatter they are wrapped around the shaft.I guess whatever your happier with but statistics show carbon is much much streighter arrow and are twice as durable. I always used aluminum before I personally think there is no comparason. See what my buddy goglen has to say he is an engineer he seems to know a lot about the tech questions.[;)][:D]
    edited November -1
    Buckeyeboy- Perhaps the carbon are "straighter". but my personal experience suggests that the aluminum stays "straight enough". Ipractice out to 35 yards, and out to 25 yards, I consistently hit a target that is the size of a cup saucer. beyond that to 35, I get "most of them in the same target, but get a few that hit outside.
    Can I do better with carbon?? I dont know. Do I feel good about my accuracy with aluminum? Yeah I do. I feel very confident with my shooting, and when shooting a bow, I think confidence is the most important thing. I resist change with my equipment. When I change things, the confidence factor goes down for awhile-I start wondering, is it the bow, is it the change, is it me, etc. And when that happens, my shooting isnt on. Basically once I find something that works, I stick with it.
    Maybe Ill try carbons out next summer-too close to deer season to make a change now.

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    I hear ya Salzo. I had alwayws used aluminum and still would there is definatly nothing wrong with them, I have killed my share of deer with aluminum. I just find carbons are working real good for me too. Hey man stick with what works if aint broke dont fix it. By the way half of good shooting I also believe is your confidence level.[;)][;)]
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carbon vs. Aluminum?
    First of all it's personal preference. However, no one has mentioned the main reason for switching..."weight savings"...which equates into more speed...which equates to flatter trajectory. As far as straightness goes can anyone look at any arrow and tell the difference between .003 vs. .006? Doubtful. If you're a professional target archer...possibly. How bout on the range? Same thing.
    I shoot a High Country Carbon 4-Runner and their Carbon Revolution shafts. 5.5 grains per inch. I shoot a 315 grain arrow upwards of 330 fps and a 275 grain arrow 365 fps. Smokin' hot, flat trajectory. I use the same pin out to 30 yards. It is nearly impossible to see the arrow flight once it leaves the launch pad and they hit like a ton of bricks. Are they accurate...absolutely!
    Today's carbon arrows are far superior to those of yesterday. Improvements in manufacturing technology keeps making them stronger and durable...not to mention faster.
    Lmbhngr
    edited November -1
    I believe you are correct, but also I understand why some guy's don't switch to carbon. #1 they most likely have a couple of hundred bucks tied up in aluminum arrows. They are killing deer with their aluminum arrows, and thats what counts more than anything. Accuracy over speed any-day. that dosen't mean what your saying is incorrect and I agree with you, But to each his own man.[:D][;)] By the way welcome hope ya stick around.[8D][8D]
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    quote:Originally posted by salzo

-Jimmy the cheese man
    Aluminum arrows definatly bend. You can't see it with your eye or by spinning them but if you put a caliper gauge on them they will somtimes be out 4 to 5 thouslands out thats not good. They will still be pretty accurate but just not perfect. Carbon arrows,I don't know about other brands but I shoot gamegetter carbon express select they don't splinter or shatter they are wrapped around the shaft.I guess whatever your happier with but statistics show carbon is much much streighter arrow and are twice as durable. I always used aluminum before I personally think there is no comparason. See what my buddy goglen has to say he is an engineer he seems to know a lot about the tech questions.[;)][:D]

Dont you mean Game Tracker Carbon Express Selects, Gamegetters are easton alluminums.

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent)
    turkey.gif
  • toocarztoocarz Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman...I think you are from IL...so am I. I have used, with success, Carbon Metal Matrix and ICS Hunters thoughout the years...never had any problem with either in the cold....and I hunt until bow season turns into handgun season.