In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New to archery--stupid arrow tuning question

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
I am shooting Beeman ICS Hunters and am about to give Blackhawk Vapors a whirl. I'm going to test Muzzy 100's, Montec (100 gr), and another mechanical (probably Rocky Mountain Snyper).
How do you tune a broadhead to a carbon arrow? I have heard of people heating aluminum arrows and giving the broadhead a little turn but I don't think this would work with carbon.

How do you tune a broadhead (assuming I go with a Muzzy or the Montec instead of the mechanical) with a carbon arrow?

The guy who runs the bow shop says I should stick with a mechanical broadhead if I'm shooting carbon and that it's pretty tough to tune anything non-mechanical to a carbon arrow.

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not shoot carbons, maybe they are different than aluminum, but I have never "tuned" my broadheads. I used to shoot thunderheads, they were very unpredictable. No mattewr what I did I could not get them to fly consistently. I have been using Muzzy 100 grain for the past four years and they are incredible. Just screwthem on, and they shoot very consistent.
    May I suggest, before you go crazy buying broadheads, to practice for a couple of months with field points(you did mention you were new to this). When you become a good consistent shooter, then start thinking about broadheads. You would be better off selecting broadheads when you have an idea of what you are doing.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo--I appreciate the input. I've been practicing for a few months. I want to buy a few different "species" of broadhead now so that I'm not picking over what's left over in September and October.

I'm going to wait until about the second week of November and take advantage of the rut this year. I've hunted in October and December for the last three years. Now I'm going strictly with a bow this year.

I bought a pack of Muzzy 100 gr broadheads.
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you are new to bow hunting, ask around and see if any of your buddys have been on a tracking job looking for a deer after it was shot with a mechanical broadhead. I can tell you from experance , it ant fun! Do your self a favor and stick with a muzzy, thunder head, or any one of the fixed broadheads. You will be much better off, they have much greater penatration. About the only thing I would use a mechanical head on would be a turkey, you don't want them to pass through.
    I also use Bemen ICS hunter carbon shafts. I don't know if you would call it tunning an arrow but I always line up my broadheads with the fletchens. Instead of trying to heat the insert up enough for the glue to melt go to the local archery shop and buy a dozen of the little O rings that are used on Thunserhead broadheads , this is if you don't use a Thunderhead. Put the O ring on the base of your broadhead, screw it to your arrow, and you can line up the blades on your broadhead with the fletchins, very simple. The 3 blade heads line up quite well. I use a Steel Force 2 blade head and I make sure the blades are lined up with the fletchen that slides between my Quick Tune 3000 arrow rest. I have not ever used a 4 blade so I can't commment on how to line thm up.
    Look at a Phatom Broadhead, they are very well made. I have used Steel Force 100 gr 2 blade broadheads for 4 years now and they shoot perfict on my High Country Carbon 4 Runner.

Hornet
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Unlike hornet im a fan of mechanicals there is no tuning with them they fly just like your field points

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I shoot through a wisker biscut and shoot game tracker carbon carbon express cx muzzys and montec,s shoot well with no allignment at all blades and fletching are different on every arrow and they all shoot the same try it b-4 you invest a lot of time ya got nothing to lose.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    If you are shooting helical vanes you may not have to tune your broadhead at all. Straight vanes can be a different story.

Ben
    edited November -1
    I've been using Turbo Nocks successfully with my field points on the Beman ICS Hunter arrow shafts. I'm thinking about sticking with these. They have 4 fins. I'm going to give the Montecs and my Muzzy's a whirl and see if they work well. The bow shop will help me with the whole tuning process. Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to stick with the Turbo Nocks since they have been working well for me and are not damaged at all by the Whisker Buscuit.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    The one thing I really like about those montecs is that they are very durable. Even if you dull the pee out of them, you just have to hit 'em with a stone for 5 minutes and they are as good as new.

Ben
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't switch to blackhawks, sure their super light but the can't take any punishment.
    http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/videos/WMV/Broadband/DURVAPOR.wmv
    edited November -1
    I have a hard time with that video. It does not actually prove that Blackhawk Vapors are being used and find it humorous that the video is labeled "Vapor Blackhawk". The material being shot is unknown and the arrow speed is unknown. There are ways to launch an arrow MUCH faster than what a bow is capable of launching it. Hell, I could do that same "trick" by firing the arrow out of a single-shot .410-gauge shotgun. That would shatter any arrow when fired at a hard surface.
  • MartesMartes Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    I have a hard time with that video. It does not actually prove that Blackhawk Vapors are being used and find it humorous that the video is labeled "Vapor Blackhawk". The material being shot is unknown and the arrow speed is unknown. There are ways to launch an arrow MUCH faster than what a bow is capable of launching it. Hell, I could do that same "trick" by firing the arrow out of a single-shot .410-gauge shotgun. That would shatter any arrow when fired at a hard surface.

They also fire two diffrent carbon express arrows and a xx75 easton arrow. I know many hunters that use Blackhawks because they are super light but they all say that they're not the most durable, but sure they can propably take normal use. I wouldn't shoot I big boar with one[:)].