In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

beginners compound bow

74man74man Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
My wife just informed me that she would like to take up archery again, she said that she used to be able to hit the target everytime with a single bow, you know a stick with a string,hahaha. She is pretty serious since I like guns and am a good shot with what ever I shoot, and I would like to see her get into it again. I know absolutely nothing about archery,just guns and how to aim them. hahaha! What would you suggest she get for a top beginners compound bow. She is 5'4", 165 lbs and seeing 50 in the future so I don't want anything that she can't pull back. She has strong wrists and arms but don't want her to strain herself. Any information would be highly appreciated. Thank you, bob

A man with a gun is a CITIZEN!!!!
A man without a gun is a SUBJECT!!!
WHICH DO YOU WANT TO BE???

Comments

• Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't help you there, but I have a funny story. Some us guys were shooting clays in the back yard one day. My wife comes out and wants to try. I handed her my 20gage pump and gave her some instruction on how to use it. Any way I was going to be a smart * and stack two clays on the slinger. She shot and pumped both of them to smithereens. Hands me the gun and said "I don't see what's so hard about that" and went back into the house. We were stunned.[:0]She told me later that she used to shoot with her uncle. She just doesn't have any interest in it. That was about the 2nd or 3rd year we were married and she hasn't touched a gun since. We have been married 23 yrs. now.[:o)]

MLMorgan
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would imagine one of the better bows for women is the Hoyt Sierratec, they are designed with women in mind.

http://www.hoyt.com/products/sierratec.tpl?cart=11194093352033842
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum! My suggestion would be to take her to a pro shop and have her try out several different ones and get the one that feels the best and fits. Let us know what she gets!

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a Jennings G2, they are real smooth and can be adjusted down to light draw weight. I started my oldest son out with one. He is 23 now and still shoots it. The price is not going to wipe out your bank account either.

Hornet.
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    My suggestion is dont bother... let her find the one that works for her.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Bangs advise was good. She needs to go to a pro shop draw or shoot several bow's and if she is serious buy the one she is most comfortable with. MY advise is buy the one she likes the best and don't skimp for a lousy 200.00 bucks because you will only end up trading the bow ya bought and spending it within a year anyway. OK we gave ya some feedback[:)] what are your thoughts and what direction do you think your gonna go[?]
  • shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you might also want to keep in mind when you are looking the brace height and the riser weight. The little black hawk bowtech I shoot was discontinued last year but I have two left ( est. 449.00 ) that are perfect for youth or women. Shoots great, its light and short .

shelly
  • 74man74man Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I can get her to go to a proshop, I believe that is the way I will go but I will also take the models listed and let her try them also if the shop carries them. I really appreciate all the helpful information given on this forum as I couldn't tell you the difference in a broadhead or a knoch, (sp?? knock). Like I said I have heard the terms before but don't know the slightest about bows. But I do know that they are silent and very deadly. Thanks again for all the info. Bob

A man with a gun is a CITIZEN!!!!
    A man without a gun is a SUBJECT!!!
    WHICH DO YOU WANT TO BE???