In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Arrow fletch testing

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
I spent yesterday trying out some new fletch options. I had some extra bare shafts and fletch so I tried some things.

The first was my turkey fletch from my spring bird. These were 4" feathers, 3 fletched. They were 4" low at 20 yards, but after that correction all my pins were on to 80 yards. They flew very nice and were quickly retired until the hunting season.

Next was some free sample blazers that I got at the R-100. I had 4 of the sample packs that each had 6 2", 3 1.5" and 3 1" vanes. First up was a 3 fletch of the 1.5". It flew great. Just a little high from my normal arrows, but did not seem to do any better out to 80 yards. Then was a 3 fletch of the 1". They seemed to be even higher than the 1.5's. Then I did a 6 fletch of the 1" micro blazers. That arrow flew great! Next was the 2" blazers. 3 fletched they flew well below my normal arrows. The 2" vanes seemed noisy in flight.

Just for the record.... My "normal" arrows are Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575 with 100 gr tips, pin nocks, and 3 fletched with 2.3" Duravane 3-D vanes. The test shafts were Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575 with 100 gr tips, pin nocks and fletched as mentioned. All fletch was put on straight right offset 1/2" from the nock end of the shaft... if that matters to anyone.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Have you seen anyone fletch with them "staggered" for lack of a better term?

Ex. If you set 1 fletch 1/2" from the nock then the next one would be 1" from the nock and I think the 3rd would be 1-1/2. I think that is how it was done. Saw some like that at the shop a while back.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Wow you dudes are going deep. me no understand.... NO OBL'A SINORE'[:D]
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Have you seen anyone fletch with them "staggered" for lack of a better term?

Ex. If you set 1 fletch 1/2" from the nock then the next one would be 1" from the nock and I think the 3rd would be 1-1/2. I think that is how it was done. Saw some like that at the shop a while back.

Maybe in my next test I will try it. I have heard of people doing it, but never heard a reason why. I'm not sure what advantage it would give. I still may try it tho...