In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

If I just would have been in my stand.

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
It was overcast all day yesterday, and pretty cool. The perfect day to be out. I worked from 4a-4:30pm. Went home, ate a quick dinner and in the woods by 5:30. I made the decision going in that it was pretty windy, and because the direction the wind was blowing, I would take a seat about 50yds from my stand along the edge of the beanfield. Wind was in my face and from my right. Perfect.

An hour goes by, nothing. I hear a twig snap off to my right, about 4 o' clock. In the direction of my stand. I see a real nice doe prancing around. I see another walking with her. Cept this one has antlers. A pretty decent 8 pointer. They walk about 10' from my stand feeding and not paying any attention. They move around to my 5 o'clock. There was a heavy briar patch between us. I thought I may be able to move slowly around to my left, and cut them off on the otherside of the heavy thicket they were moving towards. I get to my feet, kind of clumsily. I had nocked an arrow and was trying to be slow about moving. Didn't happen. It was windy, but they heard me, and off they went.

If only I would have been in my stand.

I'll be in it tonight.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Ground hunting is tough. probably the movement that got you busted rather than sound. I just read about ground hunting and it said if you don't have squirrel within kicking distance then your moving to fast. Not sure I agree with it but I see what they're saying.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, but I enjoy it. I've had decent luck ground hunting. I like the stalking part.

I'm sticking with simple today, if it's not too windy, I'll be in me stand.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I've only taken one deer while on the ground but it was pretty cool. Til I had to drag her out of the creek and up the freakin hill. Still a very cool experience.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I generally abide by the rule "never hunt where you can see your old stand".

Ben
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I will let you in on a deer hunting fact. You will always be in the wrong stand. Like Ben said, "Never hunt where you can see your old stand." There will always be deer under it. When you move over there, they will be under the stand you just left. Sooner or later, you fool them into thinking that you will be in stand A when you are really in stand B.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I sat on the ground about 8-9 hours one time...got up for 5 minutes to glass around down the mountain. Came back up the hill, there was an 8-point with his head sniffing around in my back-pack. Hill was slippery, had an old rifle (no safety) so I had taken a round out of the chamber. Needless to say I could not get a shot off fast enough. Taught me never to move again!!!