In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

At 25' I am deadly.....

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
at 50' I'm not so deadly.
My left arm needs some strength training and I think I may need to get some new arrows.
I have no idea how old they are but the feathers are a little twisted and I am sure this is affecting my accuracy with the longer shots.
The shorter shots would not have as much time in flight to be affected by the arrows.
All in all, I'm having some fun. [:D]
DSM

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear you enjoy shooting!
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by phideaux4886

I have no idea how old they are but the feathers are a little twisted and I am sure this is affecting my accuracy with the longer shots.
    The shorter shots would not have as much time in flight to be affected by the arrows.
    DSM

You are a beginner, correct?
    At the stage your at, you should be questioning your form, not your equipment. If you are hitting good at closer distances, the problem is MORE THAN LIKELY, you.
  • phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    quote:Originally posted by phideaux4886

DSM

You are a beginner, correct?
    At the stage your at, you should be questioning your form, not your equipment. If you are hitting good at closer distances, the problem is MORE THAN LIKELY, you.

Yes, a beginner and yes, it most probably is me.
    I am trying to shoot until my arm gets tired and then quit for a while.
    I find that I am more consistent in the very beginning of my practice sessions.
    I am trying to add more practice shots every day to help build up my left arm strength and it seems to be helping.
    Thanks again all,
    DSM
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I may make a suggestion- Stop practicing when you lose your consistency, or when you get tired. If you are shooting well, and then your shooting gets off, it is an indication of mental and/or physical fatigue. When you are mentally or physically tired, your form changes, and badh abits develp, and become difficult to pin point.
    You do not learn to shoot well, by shooting bad, you learn to shoot well, by shooting well. When I practice, I quit when I start missing.
    I understand the desire to "build up" your draw strength, but personally I think you are better off doing that during good practice sessions, rather than shooting until your arm falls off.
    A good practice session is practicing while you are shooting "good", and stopping when you are shooting bad.
    Even if it means only shooting 3 arrows a session.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    If I may make a suggestion- Stop practicing when you lose your consistency, or when you get tired. If you are shooting well, and then your shooting gets off, it is an indication of mental and/or physical fatigue. When you are mentally or physically tired, your form changes, and badh abits develp, and become difficult to pin point.
    You do not learn to shoot well, by shooting bad, you learn to shoot well, by shooting well. When I practice, I quit when I start missing.
    I understand the desire to "build up" your draw strength, but personally I think you are better off doing that during good practice sessions, rather than shooting until your arm falls off.
    A good practice session is practicing while you are shooting "good", and stopping when you are shooting bad.
    Even if it means only shooting 3 arrows a session.

Yes, I can see what you mean.
    When I first walk out I can hit a 5" paper plate 75% of the time at fifty feet, but after about 20-30 shots I start dropping fast and throwing out some wild ones.
    When I see that starting to happen I will start to put it down and walk away from it for a couple of hours.
    I have seen noticeable improvement with only a few days practice.
    I'll have to use some dumbells for draw strength.
    Thanks,
    DSM
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    when i shoot i make the first 20 count especially the first 5
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your "twisted feathers" are likely to be a helical fletch and would help your arrow flight at longer distances.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    Your "twisted feathers" are likely to be a helical fletch and would help your arrow flight at longer distances.

I would not have thought that. Thanks,
    DSM
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the clock ticks down toward the season learn to hold for longer times then shoot, only advice I got for ya...g'luck man =)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    As the clock ticks down toward the season learn to hold for longer times then shoot, only advice I got for ya...g'luck man =)

Thanks.
    DSM
    edited November -1
    I am starting to come into my own at the 50' range.
    Another few weeks of 50' practice and I'll be moving back 25'.
    DSM
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the update!