In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rattling Whitetails

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
How many of you actually have good success with rattling? Last season I had a decent size buck come in on my rattling. Problem was that I saw his rack over some brush as I was leaving my stand so I setup on the ground and rattled. He came straight in without hesitation at all, then saw me draw and he spooked. The entire experience was great because I have not had a buck react that much, had them stop and so on but nothing drastic like this was ( i understand rut and have taken all that in consideration already). In the past I have had bucks interested in my bleats rather than rattling.
I would like to know how you guys feel about it. The majority of the guys I bow hunt with rattle, but none act like it's the best thing in the world.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I've rattled deer in before, but they have always been too alert to make a serious mistake. I've found that a grunt or bleat brings them in more relaxed.
    Ben
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    My son rattled a 7 pt. Buck one in this past season for my Grandson and it soon started to leave.He rattled it in again,and then a 3 rd. time as it was leaving again.But when the Buck left this time he passed within 12 Yds. of my grandson that did a lung shot to him. He only traveled about 60 yds. before falling.

Seems like rattling only works once in a great while though.
    Image05_Nathan_Buck.jpg

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    That's the ticket s.gun! I like seeing youngsters hunting, especially with rewards like that. Congrats to you both

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    The boy can hunt with the men. That's gotta make a man proud.

Tell him the guys on GunBroker were impressed.

Ben