In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any suggestions for low-light sights?

Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
I have always had to quit hunting before all the legal light was gone or pass on shots early because I cannot see my peep when the light is low. I can see my pins just fine, but I can't see my peep to center my pins in. It finally got on my nerves this weekend, and I am wondering if there is a good solution out there.

Thanks.

Comments

• cgs500cgs500 Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe try the tridium (sp?), I have the older lighted pin and it is a pain in the butt. You have to handle it with kid gloves so you don't knock it out of elevation...the fiber optic part that bends likes to rotate. I finally scribed a mark arcoss the two mating parts so I can put it back if I happen to bump it.

Other than that, good luck.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I just saw a peep the other day that is supposed to pick up light liked the fiber optic pins. I'll see if I can find a brand name for you.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
    edited November -1
    Ok it is called "Dusk Vision" by Eastman Outfitters. Naturally gathers available light. Light gathering dots enhance eye to peep alignment in dim light.
    I just wrote that off the package I bought one to try myself. Hope this is what you were looking for. Good luck hunting

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bang,

Thanks for the info. That sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll try to find one.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Not to give away any secrets, but I heard Buckeyboy say he straps a flash light to his head once the sun goes down....[:D][:D]
    Calls it The Buck Light.[:D]

sorry buckey I couldn't pass it up, glad you back.
    edited November -1
    Susp. does he wait til he hears something to turn it on or turn it on then wait. Just wandering....you know.....

edited November -1
    He waits because it has a clapper attached to it to.
    clap on...clap off....
    [:D]

Hey bang I noticed a reply, from a certain someone, to your post in the general forum. [:D] you read it yet?
    edited November -1
    I think so......just looked. Thanks

• gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What size peep are you using right now the easiest solution to the low light problem you are experiencing right now is to just go with a bigger peep, also if you are not already I would be using a kisser button.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I agree with Gogolen. use a larger peep or the best thing is learn to shoot instinctive. I have tried everthing and here is the problem when the light drops off where you can't see your pins and you light them to make them visible, when you look through your peep thats all you see is pin you can,t see the deer behind the pins. When its gets too dark now I just quiver my arrow and say the deer live for at least another day.[;)]
    edited November -1
    I already use a fairly large peep and a kisser button. In fact, I think the large size of my peep is part fo the reason I can't see it. When looking through my peep, top part of it overlapes part of my bow. In low light, I can't pick it up against my bow any more, and therefore, I can't center my pins in the peep. I think if I lower my peep, that might allow me to move my pins down, and will bring the top of the peep away from the bow so maybe I can see it again. Who knows.
    edited November -1
    Islander, I tried it all even the flash light in the staibelzer[:0] hole. not worth all the effort[xx(] when it gets too dark that means the deer won and it's time to head home.[;)]
    edited November -1
    When do you all call it quits after sunset? In Texas, we can legally hunt until 30 minutes after sunset, but I am usually quivering my arrows 10-15 minutes after sunset. Is that as late as ya'll can shoot? Just trying to make sure I'm not at a disadvantage due to equipment.
    edited November -1
    We can hunt from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. Aside from the time I draw my bow put it on a tree if I can't pick a spot and put my pin on it, I call it quits. chances are if ya hit one ya wont see where ya hit it. if ya should go after it or wait. so I just gave that last minute thing up.[:)]
    edited November -1
    I thought I replied to this earlier for some reason....[|)] Jay the baffled here.

Here in Ohio we go 1/2 hour before & after. Consider today for example, here in my area sunrise for today was 7:22AM, sunset was 5:02PM, 1/2 hour before and after those times is plenty of light. I have and am breaking the law by hunting the times I do. [B)] Please don't tell..... because 95% or more of the hunters in this state would need arrested also. [:D]
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem. Old man eyes.

Here is what I did.

First get a Timberridge site. One with the metal pins.

Second get a "Nopeep" which basically replaces the peepsite. It is a little tricky to set up, but you will find it very shooter friendly. If you need more info email me.

Shoot Straight!!

Quote: It is easy to take liberty for granted when you have never had it taken from you.
    Author: M. Grundler
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Copper John Dead nutes with a light!

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent)
    turkey.gif
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    How about one of those Red Dot with I Power/Zero Magnification.I have one on my crossbow.Works great in low light.I just don't know if it may be a problem mounting on a bow.Mine mounts with a 3/8 dovetail rail.

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.