In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

deer antler points????

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
Not like scoring points, like the number of points they have. I hear two different things from different people. Do deer always have the same number of points throughout their life or do they get new each year??? Can someone clear this up or did I stir a can here too??

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine

Comments

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard the same thing, the only thing different I heard was they can have a kicker or 2. The main frame I was told stays the same. I'm curious to.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard that all the racks can be any size. but they get there biggest at like 4 and a half years old. then they start getting smaller after that.
    -michael
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Have an ex-boyfriend that is a taxidermist and he always told me that the deers antlers are biggest between 3-5 years old. They age deer by their teeth, the same way as horses, and from what he showed me I would have to say he was probably right.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    So if I see a 6 pt. this year will he still be a 6pt in two years (if he makes it through seasons[:p]) or could he be 7 or 8 pts.??

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rack size will continue to grow and peak anywhere between 3-5 years rack size is also determined by other factors such as genes, and food available i.e. a corn fed buck will have a better chance of reaching his ultimate rack size than a buck living in the hardwoods. After the buck reaches his peak his rack size will decrease as the years pass.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    gogolen said it for me. That is how I have always understood it.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Gogolen good explanation. thats correct. A deer can be a four pointer when he is say 1 1/2year old but can be a 12 pointer at 4 years old. like gog said genes habitat lot's of factors.[:)]
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As to the question of how many points a buck will have as it ages - I would say that, No, he won't always have the same number of points each year. Now when he is 3,4,5 & 6 years old, yes, he'll probably have the same number of points (except maybe for the odd stickers). On the way to his peak and on the way back down from the peak, he might be a spike or 4 pt or 6 pt or what ever.

You see all kinds of bucks that are 6 pts are less with their first racks, but I'd say it is uncommon to see a spike, 4pt or 6 pt that is at his peak.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I agree Gogolen is correct with what he said. That is the way I understand it also. Just because a buck at 2 years old is a 6 point doesn't mean he may have 8 points the following year and much wider. The nourishment they get plays alot with the size of rack they may end up with.[^]

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its genetics and nutritian - no hard fast rule - 18 moth olds can be 8 points if the conditions are right